Looking for a Recommendation for an Old MultiBit DAC that can be Purchased Today

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is sad..

Another interesting thing is why chip manufacturers don't see the problem, and resurrect the manufacturing old chips.

I can understand the logic behind integrating more components/functionalities into the chip, for small mobile devices, that maybe don't need the best sound quality. But for people at home, who want a better sound, and the manufacturer of the audio product/system has no constraint in space, the older chips, that do not include the additional features built-in, would be better.

Don't chip manufacturers see this? They can revive the production of their older chips.. Not just for the DIY community (which is obviously small, for affecting production decisions), but for audio product manufacturers themselves, who wish to get the better sound quality DAC chips.

Last edited:
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that so many projects based on modern S-D chips devote substantial effort towards bypassing the on-chip additional features provided? No matter which chip is being used the digital upsampling filter has to be thrown out and replaced with something better externally. Then if the chip is ESS, the internal SRC has to be switched off and even (if I understand correctly) various internal modulators need to be routed around and for best results, only DSD fed in from an external DSD-generating chip.

So efforts to get the best SQ from S-D chips seem always to involve finding ways to defeat internal stuff, not simply making the external support circuits the best they can be. To me this is like starting any design from square -1, rather than square 0.

Uh, maybe I can take a try at explaining the situation with S-D chips like ESS. Like other kinds of things, they are designed at a price point and with included features likely to get the chip selected for the most end-use product designs. In addition, it happens that S-D are very revealing of everything, including all the little low -level details in music, but also of their own limitations and the limitations of the circuitry around them. Those things just go along with more ENOB, low noise, and fairly low distortion. I say 'fairly' low distortion because even at -120dB THD it can be audible if noise and or low ENOB do not obscure it. (This assumes a power amp and speakers capable of not adding their own masking of small details.)

The internal features of the S-D chips are good enough for the price points most manufactures are aiming for in the market. We are at a point in time where dacs chips are very revealing, but to be revealing of the details of the music and nothing else is still complicated and expensive.

One of things the chips are revealing of is jitter, which even at very low levels produces audible problems. The internal ASRC and the internal PCM interpolation filters in ESS chips could be better in that their shortcomings are revealed just like everything else is. No doubt they could be made better by ESS, but already the chips are a costly part of many dac designs. How much are dac manufacturers willing to pay for dac chips to be used in very price-sensitive markets?

The reason DSD sounds better likely simply has to do with the fact that the digital filtering needed inside S-D dac chips is much more simple for DSD than for PCM. With good enough PCM interpolation filtering it could sound just as good as DSD, IMHO.

So, in the meantime where we are right now we have to make some choices about what we want and what we are willing to pay for. We can go with older and less revealing dac chips and hear less of what was actually recorded, or we can have the extra detail in pretty accurate form (still not perfect) if we are willing to go to enough cost and complexity to get it. If we want to use 'chip' dacs to do it, then we have to deal with the kind of chips market economics can justifiably produce, and with the associated cost and complexity.

Probably, we can mostly blame human hearing for the issues. It is hard to get all forms of distortion and noise not just to -120dB, but well below -120dB. We might be talking ideally, maybe -130dB or -140dB (for distortion) before we get defects down to the level they inaudible to any human, and maybe not even then. We simply don't know because it has never been studied using the kind of testing systems we could make today if we make them the best we know how to do.

Last edited:
Can you please also mention some places for buying MultiBit DACs today in 2019?

From standard china sources (mostly used components, not tested, go with parts in DIP, avoid the PCM1704 from china sources) ...,

UTsource (I dont know if they are genuine, I have not asked for protocol) ... a lot of different chips (incl. TDA1387), I bought from them AD1865, AD1862, PCM1702, all are working fine

Rochester Electronics (genuine parts, I asked for the protocol and they sent it to me), a lot of genuine chips, like:
AD1862, AD1865,
PCM1704
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that so many projects based on modern S-D chips devote substantial effort towards bypassing the on-chip additional features provided? ....
You are not alone ... a lot of audio engineers run the marathon for "the best overkill in the delta-sigma world" :D

UTsource (I dont know if they are genuine, I have not asked for protocol) ... a lot of different chips (incl. TDA1387), I bought from them AD1865, AD1862, PCM1702, all are working fine

Rochester Electronics (genuine parts, I asked for the protocol and they sent it to me), a lot of genuine chips, like:
AD1862, AD1865,
PCM1704
Thank you very much miro for these 2 stores..

Anyway you can buy a R2R DAC from other source. They are cheaper but note, most of them are products from electronic scrap. I recommend only DIP packages (because they did not need to be removed by a heatgun). I strictly do not recommend PCM1704 from ebay and other china sources (SMD chips degraded by heat during recycling).

Recently I purchased 4pcs of PCM58 from aliexpress for only €18. Those seem to have very good specs according to the datasheet. The delivered chips seem to be legit, have the distinctive BB DIP28 case. I'm about to build an evaluation board. Will report the outcome.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.