Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

[Modding] Topping DX3 Pro
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2019, 08:08 AM   #191
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneybear View Post
There is nothing complicated here. As far as you have consistent setup across the board, you can still figure out the differences among different multi-tone tests. This is exactly where ASR shows its value. All tests are done by the same person based on the same config. You can always go to FFTs at different frequencies for details later.

As for the choice of 1KHz test, it's a chicken-egg scenario. In the past, for tape decks, 400Hz was the one to use. Later it was moved to 1KHz for CDs to show a bit more on the LPF's impact. Now for some high speed OPs such as OPA1612, they work the best above 1KHz. People start to get the impression that 1KHz is the sweet spot for OPs.
Where do you come up with this stuff? The datasheet for the part shows you are wrong. Distortion is markedly worse at 10 kHz than 1 kHz, as you would expect from the open loop gain plot. Please, explain with facts not anecdotes.

You’re right that there is nothing complicated here. I’m happy to change my stance when provided explanations that make sense.

Are you aware that Samuel Groner did very detailed measurements of OPA1611 (rebranded OPA211). His measurements, which go beyond the datasheet, disprove every single statement you have made about it in this thread.

Last edited by chris719; 20th April 2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 20th April 2019, 09:24 AM   #192
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have found there's a big jump on SQ from AK4490 to AK4493. Do have a big concern on the coming AK4499 though. The new I/V stage may change everything.
AK4493 is on a new process it shares with AK4497 (and presumably 4499) according to what I saw on the website somewhere. The AK4499 is going to have the same stupidly high output current like ES9038. Other than the digital section, this DAC is going to be more like the Sabre than the 4493 it seems.
Old 20th April 2019, 01:36 PM   #193
chinook9 is offline chinook9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulkouhan View Post
I get the BOM, the hex 2mm key, a solder station for smd.
I will practice first on an old graphic card !
An old graphics card could work but you might find it easier to purchase an SMD practice kit off ebay. They are very cheap and include various sizes of smd and the PCB to solder and desolder on.

You may not need it, but if money is no issue it might be nice to have a cheap hot air SMD rework station. They are cheap and I have found many uses for mine. 858D works well.
Old 23rd April 2019, 06:51 AM   #194
david99 is offline david99
diyAudio Member

Hi All, Thank you for sharing all you knowledge here.

@finneybear, is your mod - especially LPF part safe also if I leave original OPA1612 in place? Also I noticed that you are using only two lines instead of four as in original setup between each AKM4493 and OP what is the reason?

Thanks.

David
Old 24th April 2019, 03:34 AM   #195
Terry Demol is offline Terry Demol  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:

CS43198 is the first high end all in one design DAC chip. It is built mainly for portable audio devices/cell phones, etc. It has everything inside, even headphone detection. It has PLL based jitter removal, configurable digital filter, and only needs 1.8V power supply, etc.

The charge pump allows it to output 5V signal, and since its output is H-calss based, the LPF is given hence no need for external LPF. A CS43198 with output buffer, that's all what you need.

Is the H class output bad? Not really. Remember that DSD itself is PWM as well. If DSD could sound good, H class can sound good, too, as far as the switching frequency is high enough. The beauty of this architecture is that, the H class output will remove the need of external LPF hence there will be no active I/V, no active LPF involved. No active LPF means no NFB, the whole signal chain now has no NFB. The only NFB happens in the digital filter inside CS43198, in the digital domain. In the analog domain, it's a simple straight path, no NFB. Definitely this will give a very unique sound to CS43198, and I am not surprised it can sound good now. What a brilliant design idea!
At least you are an optimist, if only life were so simple

I think you might want to re study what is actually inside the 43198, read, a whole bunch of Cmos opamps, and reconsider a lot of that reply.

Last edited by Terry Demol; 24th April 2019 at 03:40 AM.
Old 24th April 2019, 03:39 AM   #196
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Demol View Post
HaHa - that's a pretty funny post by any measure - at least you are an optimist, (sadly needed around here), if only life were so simple

I think you might want to re study what is actually inside the 43198, read, a whole bunch of Cmos opamps, and reconsider a lot of that reply.
I do think the CS43198 is a nice part, but you're right. There is approximately zero chance it doesn't have NFB in the internal output. Drives 600 ohms with -115 dB THD but doesn't use NFB... riiight.

I'm not sure he knows what Class H is, either. It's also completely optional and can run in normal Class A/B with a register setting.
Old 24th April 2019, 07:12 AM   #197
Terry Demol is offline Terry Demol  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I do think the CS43198 is a nice part, but you're right. There is approximately zero chance it doesn't have NFB in the internal output. Drives 600 ohms with -115 dB THD but doesn't use NFB... riiight.

I'm not sure he knows what Class H is, either. It's also completely optional and can run in normal Class A/B with a register setting.
You have to be fast around here, I edited that (Haha bit) out 10 sec after posted- so you don't need to reiterate it.

Yes, agreed on all counts. Maybe the real story here is how good they have made such an integrated device with obviously some constraints, perform.

In mono, fully balanced mode, this part would be pretty darn good.

T
Old 24th April 2019, 07:17 AM   #198
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:

T
Someone ought to find out
Old 24th April 2019, 07:21 AM   #199
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You have to be fast around here, I edited that (Haha bit) out 10 sec after posted- so you don't need to reiterate it.

Yes, agreed on all counts. Maybe the real story here is how good they have made such an integrated device with obviously some constraints, perform.

T
Sorry, didn't realize it was edited after. I can't edit mine now .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla
Someone ought to find out
I might if I can get some free time over the next few months - looking unlikely though.
Old 24th April 2019, 08:26 AM   #200
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post

I might if I can get some free time over the next few months - looking unlikely though.
I know the feeling

[Modding] Topping DX3 ProHide this!Advertise here!