Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

[Modding] Topping DX3 Pro
[Modding] Topping DX3 Pro
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2019, 08:26 AM   #11
Cidious is offline Cidious  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljoantonyn View Post
Please let us know as the Khadas Tone Board is well tested and liked in the audioscience forum. Would be interesting to get a subjective opinion as the audioscience forum cares for the objective measurements only. Very little on the subjective side.
That's why I left. We were sharing possible mods and experiences and then the measurement police came. contributing literally NOTHING. Just nagging about measurements just for the sake of nagging but they added literally NOTHING useful to the thread except their opinion on how it all should be.. it's tiring..
Old 31st January 2019, 08:33 AM   #12
eljoantonyn is offline eljoantonyn  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cidious View Post
That's why I left. We were sharing possible mods and experiences and then the measurement police came. contributing literally NOTHING. Just nagging about measurements just for the sake of nagging but they added literally NOTHING useful to the thread except their opinion on how it all should be.. it's tiring..
Yeah, too much emphasis on objective measurements. The intention is good but...love more subjective opinion and head to head comparisons along with the objective tests.
Old 31st January 2019, 09:02 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljoantonyn View Post
Yeah, too much emphasis on objective measurements. The intention is good but...love more subjective opinion and head to head comparisons along with the objective tests.
I'm making my tests as objective as possible by AB testing against an original reference unit with all the same conditions. Same cables and option to fast switch. It's not completely blind but it works pretty well.
Old 31st January 2019, 09:46 AM   #14
eljoantonyn is offline eljoantonyn  India
diyAudio Member

That would be good.
Waiting to hear your opinion on the Khadas Tone Board !
Old 31st January 2019, 04:04 PM   #15
ChuckT is offline ChuckT
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Too bad you didn't come here a talk to us before you invested so heavily in what you have now. We have learned how to make ES9038Q2M sound exceptionally good. Don't know what else to say except if you have any remaining interest in the little Sabre chip, we have a thread with lots information.
I have the Topping dx3 and a es9038q2m , it is much easier to get good sound from modding the Topping as it is already all in one dac. And the Ak4493 does sound good to my ear.
Old 31st January 2019, 04:09 PM   #16
ChuckT is offline ChuckT
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm making my tests as objective as possible by AB testing against an original reference unit with all the same conditions. Same cables and option to fast switch. It's not completely blind but it works pretty well.
I wait for you review.
For small coupling caps, I prefer the Nichicon Muse ES. I also recommend you remove the ceramic cap decoupling the opamp. I remove both the ceramic and the tan cap and replace with Nichicon KZ and the mod give a less clinical sound.
Old 31st January 2019, 04:47 PM   #17
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have ordered a Khadas Tone board. to compare the ES9038 to my AK4493.
Thing is, how good DACs sound has much more to do with implementation than it does with particular dac chips. That being said, Sabre DACs may have more configuration options available in the control registers (as compared to AK) that can be useful or not, depending on implementation.
Old 31st January 2019, 06:01 PM   #18
zenonn67 is offline zenonn67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...Sabre DACs may have more configuration options available in the control registers...
I am curios, how we can connect Sabre DAC via I2C at ports 0x90; 0x92 and use native GUI (Windows PC) to control registers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clip.jpg (120.3 KB, 195 views)
Old 31st January 2019, 06:53 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Today I had a moment of realisation that I was listening to the modded DX3 for quite a while on a high volume with a random playist on my active speakers and suddenly realised that I wasn't fatigued by it and the sound was really smooth and precise and musical. Then I turned the volume down and listened a while on low volume and still the music came out equally precise and musically pleasing and effortless.

[Modding] Topping DX3 Pro-wechat-image_20190201034755-jpg

Then I rolled the opamp back to OPA1612 (from Sparkos SS3602) and the music became more messy and less controlled.

Then I switched back to the original DX3 Pro to do the next mod on the other one and I didn't have that same comfort level. The original DX3 has something anxious something out of line. Even though good it's not that sophisticated as the modified one. Also the bass is more lacking than with the modded one.

This is not a A/B comparison as I do normally witch a RCA switch and quickly switching USB input on the computer and restarting track and skipping to the same part. But just sharing the realisation that with the modded version music became music again and no fatigue which I do have with the original unit.

Even though the Sparkos SS3602 wouldn't be the first pick for LPF it works darn well in this position. I'd say this is mostly because it's operating in class A. Another test would be to put an CCS on the OPA1612 using 2 JFETS and see if I can come close to the performance of the Sparkos. But I remember trying to put OPA1612 in class A before and that didn't go so well. but later more on this.

For now I did my next mod:

Replacing the caps around the DAC chips with better quality ones and increasing the size a bit on some positions.

T520D107M010ATE018 KEMET KO-CAP 100uf 10V

T520B107M006ATE070 KEMET KO-CAP 100uf 6.3V

[Modding] Topping DX3 Pro-inkedwechat-image_20190201031102_li-jpg

not my best soldering job but it did the trick.

After testing I found that a bit of solder hit the DAC output pins and this resulted in distortion on the left channel. After removing it all was well in the world again.

A/B test with OPA1612 and remembering the sound of before the mod with the same unit is a bit more difficult obviously.

By now the modded unit is a far better DAC already than the original one. by miles. The improvement of the caps on the DAC position brought not the same WOW effect as when I replaced the DAC output caps with 100uf or rolling the opamp but I'd say everything became a little more orderly and cleaner sounding. Hard to say. deminishing returns i'd say. But definitely no loss! I'll test more AB tomorrow.

One more thing I'd like to point out is upsampling tracks to 768K in PCM DOES improve the sound quality! it makes it more transparant and highs less edgy! Give it a try!

Foobar2000 resampler mod

Take the mod version and manually add 768K sample rate

[Modding] Topping DX3 Pro-upsampling-png

Next mods will be looking at the powersupply.

So far I'm EXTREMELY happy with the mods I've done. The device is in another league now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WeChat Image_20190201031102.jpg (166.6 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg WeChat Image_201902010311022.jpg (105.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png upsampling.png (195.9 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg InkedWeChat Image_20190201031102_LI.jpg (206.7 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg WeChat Image_20190201034755.jpg (112.1 KB, 267 views)
Old 31st January 2019, 06:57 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thing is, how good DACs sound has much more to do with implementation than it does with particular dac chips. That being said, Sabre DACs may have more configuration options available in the control registers (as compared to AK) that can be useful or not, depending on implementation.
You made clear that you like the ES9038 chip more and I've browsed through your project topic. truly impressive and I'll have a dive into it after I'm done squeezing the last bits out of this project for kicks.

Can we stay on topic? If you own a AK4493 board or have suggestions please share them. This is not a ES9038 board. I'm sorry. I'll be sure to chat you up when I start a ES9038 project.

Other than that my Khadas ES9038 will come in in maybe two weeks after spring festival. Which will be interesting to put against the AK4493 modified and unmodified.

[Modding] Topping DX3 ProHide this!Advertise here!