Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Confused: How to connect my upcoming sub to my sound system ?
Confused: How to connect my upcoming sub to my sound system ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2019, 09:25 AM   #11
eljoantonyn is offline eljoantonyn  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
You may be better just bunging a big fan on your amp to keep it cool.

For my sub I use the tape out of the main amp (Yamaha AV amp) into an adjustable LPF i built (8- 50hz), this goes into a bass amp that has it's own parametric EQ so I can tweek the sound further. The LPF I built after looking at numerous articles and design's, I just tweeked an ESP circuit, it's pretty simple, two opamp buffers to sum L&R ch then a simple filter, uses a TL074.

Andy.
Hi Andy !
I think I need LPF for sub and HPF for the Yamaha AS-500.

If I go analog, there are a lot of cheap Chinese active crossovers with linkwitz-riley filters. May be I should try it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowatch2 View Post
Dont even think about the Sure DSP. You will need month to understand it, documentation is non existing and the net full of useless information.
No step by step how to do it. Save your money.
Best would be to get a strong amp, made for "party all night long".
Maybe try to lease one for an evening. But be carefull, your Magnat speakers are HIFI and not PA. If you let them play loud for two hours, even without overloading them, they get hot (no cooling of magnet) and the voice coil will melt. Take my word, I know.
So, best, get a pair of small PA speakers with matching amp. Nothing exotic about it, just find a place where you can get such stuff for an evening.
Thanks for the post Turbowatch2 !

Ok, I'll drop Sure DSP idea ! Can't afford to spend that much time on it.

We would be having a PA system for the main stage which is open. My system is for the indoors.
And yeah, after everything is over, I plan to integrate this sub with the secondary system. The amp used for the secondary system is a 2.1 but I don't trust its crossover. So, I'll try to use the same setup (active analog two way crossover) for it.

Is it ok ?
Old 3rd February 2019, 09:14 AM   #12
Diabolical Artificer is offline Diabolical Artificer  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

"I think I need LPF for sub and HPF for the Yamaha AS-500." As I said I just used the tape outs on my Yamaha AV-M99 amp, L/R signals go into the LPF then out into a separate amp for the sub. Not sure why you'd need a HPF, think your getting confused. Your IP to your sub isn't out of the speaker OP of your main amp, you only need a line level signal, though this means you need an amp for the sub.

BTW, before you build a sub, look at the projects on Rod Elliot's site, I built a fecking great sub 4 foot high, 3 feet wide and 2 1/2deep using an 18" woofer, Rod built a design where cab size is greatly reduced, bit like the REL subs.

If you want the details of the LPF I built, drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send it you. It's very simple using standard value parts like 10k R's and 0.1u caps for instance, no need for 82n caps or 1k95 R's. It does involve building a small split rail PSU and circuit board though you could do the latter on perf board. See pic.

Andy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DSC00554.jpeg (617.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Diabolical Artificer; 3rd February 2019 at 09:20 AM.

Confused: How to connect my upcoming sub to my sound system ?Hide this!Advertise here!