Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Improving a cheap chinese PCM1794 DAC
Improving a cheap chinese PCM1794 DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2019, 09:19 AM   #71
thomas XLR is offline thomas XLR  Poland
diyAudio Member

Under this link Chiński DAC PCM1794 + AK4118 DAC - DIY - Audiostereo.pl is the entire thread devoted to problems and ways to solve the problems of the PCM1794 AK4118 Chinese tile (from January 2018 to today).
Old 4th March 2019, 11:30 AM   #72
samoloko is offline samoloko  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Is this dual pcm1794 each set to mono mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas XLR View Post
Thank you for recognizing "Chermann".
I am at the stage of the next project of the DAC converter only, that on the plates from Ciry Audio PCM1794A + AK4118 + USB Amanero + change of opam on 6xAD744 + 4xLT1634. I am planning to make a COMBO type transducer; in the OPAM + version Lampowa version (2 x Amperex E88CC lamp etc.).
How comprehensively it will be done, I will try to publish on the forum for the benefit of the community Error 404 - Page Missing.
I greet everyone.
Old 7th March 2019, 10:54 AM   #73
samoloko is offline samoloko  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

congratulations
very clever choice of modules

would you please describe change In sound (If there was) when you just change stock OPA to OPA1612 and OPA2132

Interested to know how do you connect XMOS board and pcm1794 board using just 2 wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachy View Post
Hey, thanks for the interesting discussion. I have chosen the PCM1794 after I read this article, which has in depth measurement/analysis/comparison of delta-sigma/multibit DACs and their differences. You may find it interesting: Какой звуковой ЦАП лучше? Меандр занимательная электроника. It is in russian so you should probably use Google Translate.

By the way, here is the whole setup in a temporary enclosure out of a Polo RL scarf until I find someone with a CNC nice enough to make me two simillar enclosures.

Click the image to open in full size.

The setup consists of:
- A DIY AC filter
- 2x15VAC+2x9VAC R-Core transformer feeding the DAC board
- 2x7,5VAC feeding the XMOS reclock and Raspberry Pi
- Raspberry Pi 3 running Volumio fed by a LT1083 + CRC filter PSU(on the black prototype PCB, painted black with a spray can)
- JLSounds XMOS, with it's reclock after galvanic barrier fed by an LM317 + CRC PSU(also on the black board)
- The modified chinese PCM1794 board
- An LCD display+MCU+rotary switch that came with the chinese board used to switch digital inputs and display current signal frequency

While still burning in, the sound of the PCM1794 is amazing. TBH I have never expected such a detailed sound that is still warm and pleasant to listen to from a delta-sigma DAC except for the most expensive Sabre pros. I don't believe the TDA1541 myths anymore.

The good thing is that the whole streamer/DAC costed less than 250$ including the trafos, raspberry, xmos, memory card, DAC board and all the components for the upgrade. It allows me to listen to music from online streaming services such as Spotify and Tidal, local HDD and I can still switch to the toslink coming from my TV with one click and use the DAC for Xbox(pass-through) and Netflix.

I still have to add the IR receiver for an Apple remote I have laying around but Volumio has a web interface so it's not mandatory.
Old 9th March 2019, 09:55 AM   #74
diyAudio Member

Could you describe the sound change (if so), when you change the OPA OPA1612 and OPA2132

In my case, the best selection of opa is 1x OPA2132PA + 2 x OPA1612. Personally, I did not replace 3x OPA1612. I do not see such a need. However, a colleague known to you Kris_54701 from audiostereo.pl claims that the combination of 3 x OPA1612 is even better. Yet another person of marcin32 also audiostereo.pl has bought staccato and is very happy (you would have to ask him)

Interested know how to connect the plate and the plate XMOS pcm1794 using only 2 wires

I have seen this picture and thank you for giving me information on audiostereo.pl.
At present, on the audiostereo.pl portal devoted to PCM1794 AK4118 colleague gavron04 is at the stage of experimenting to extract I2S signals (LRCK, DATA, BCK, SCK) Pinout I2S AK4118 <> PCM1794 removing 4 resistors 33r and mounting goldpins near the PCM1794A chip
Chiński DAC PCM1794 + AK4118 DAC - DIY - Audiostereo.pl.

Is this dual pcm1794 set to mono.

I am only in the initial phase and I have purchased components. Consultations with friends on this topic are currently underway. When I'm done, I'll do a report + photos for other forum users.
Old 9th March 2019, 10:29 AM   #75
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoloko View Post
Is this dual pcm1794 each set to mono mode
The initial phase of the DAC transducer design using Dual PCM1794A + AK4118 preamp from Ciry Audio: COMBO DAC converter (OPAM / LAMPS)
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Improving a cheap chinese PCM1794 DACHide this!Advertise here!