Improving AK4490 THD(+N) figures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Besides the THD+N it could be interesting to see the THD, so without the noise.

Have you considered making the PCB compatible with the AK4493? It only requires a small additional effort.

I have not but I should check it, I did notice its existence a while ago.

I do have THD results as well. Here is a graph from the VREF=5V case, from the same run I posted before the THD+N. At 0 dBFS THD+N is pretty much dominated by THD as can be expected, below that noise contributes more.

I could maybe extract more numbers from there but the lowest values are somewhere in the -116..-118 dB ballpark (and again, I forgot to change % to dB..).

Jens, you got to the better side of -120 dB with your analyzer?

In fact, I did not check THD only numbers with large extra capacitors so this is something I should still check. Too many variables!

Attachments

• THD_vs_Amp_TB_5V.png
    THD_vs_Amp_TB_5V.png
    119.4 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes, at -20dBFS I typically get just below -120dB THD.

Perhaps you are limited by the AP analyzer? It looks like your results are limited by noise. I normally use a large FFT window (512k) to suppress the noise floor in order to see the harmonics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.