Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Do you really tie Analog GND and Digital GND at pin chip level in DAC/Receivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2019, 05:04 PM   #51
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygg-it View Post
@Markw4
@batteryman

It depends on if you have separate bridges/transformer or not.
Sure. Then your problem statement should include that you have some existing coupling at the power supply end. Then you could decide if you need to do some engineering work at that end to get your system performance where you want it.
Old 14th January 2019, 06:20 AM   #52
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
Surely it depends on what it is you are trying to accomplish, the absolute lowest EMI, or isolation?

It could very well be that the lowest impedance return path would be right where the supposed inductor is suggested to go. But if the currents are allowed to flow there the digital noise disturbs the linearity of the analogue stages.

The point of the inductor isn't to minimise EMI it's to deliberately stop current from flowing where it's going to reduce performance elsewhere. I'm guessing that this is seen as a trade off. Increase EMI in a low power circuit but improve absolute performance elsewhere.

Whether or not this design process is strictly necessary is another thing entirely.
You need to ask yourself why high frequency currents are deemed to be a problem, when they return in the most predictable manner. Only the I2S and I2C/SPI interface currents are flowing there anyway. There is no problem to solve unless you have done stupid stuff like put a DSP in the middle of the analog side of the board. In fact, low frequency return currents are going to spread on the reference plane to a much greater degree.

Click the image to open in full size.

Of course, there will be lower frequency content in the return as well, but an inductor isn't going to help with that... maybe cap stitching the planes would work if you were trying to isolate from low frequency noise but still maintain an RF connection.

Connecting the planes with an inductor is a BAD idea.

Grounding Converters | Analog Devices

"But they must be joined at the package(1) and nowhere else.

(1): And with the lowest possible impedance – do not separate them with resistors, inductors or ferrite beads. "

"sometimes a converter data sheet may recommend that AGND and DGND are connected to system analog and digital grounds respectively. When a data sheet tells you to do this it is incorrect, and you should ignore it."

Grounding of Mixes Signal Systems

Last edited by chris719; 14th January 2019 at 06:42 AM.
Old 14th January 2019, 09:00 AM   #53
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is this correct?
No. There is no need for separate supplies or supply GND returns. You simple make the impedance of supply feeds to the local (on-board) regulators high impedance (series resistors will do in almost all cases) so that GND connections under the DACs dominate the scene. And were do we put the supply connector on the board, etc? Avoiding to elaborate here I just recommend everybody get a copy of H.W.Ott's "Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering", this is the best available textbook on EMC and Signal Integrity and answer absolutely all questions about grounding in this thread as well as the gazillion of similar threads. It actually covers every single detail you need to know from basic electrical circuits theory (most design errors start right there) to the layout of a proper PCB to the design of a complete flaw-less product with supplies, enclosure, internal cabling etc.
Old 14th January 2019, 09:15 AM   #54
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Sometimes it makes sense to use separate supplies because analog needs +-15v and digital needs 5v or 3.3v. Doesn't usually make a lot of sense to drop +15 to +3.3 with onboard reguators, for various reasons. However, those separate power supplies exist in the first place for reasons other than grounding. Since they do exist, their separation can be used as is convenient.
Old 17th January 2019, 01:04 PM   #55
ygg-it is offline ygg-it  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default built!

Hello, just built the PCM56 board but not tested yet.... Four PCM56 in parallel, left and right channel.
I've decided to create two separate power supply boards with separate transformers, bridges and regulators, one for analog circuitry (+/-5V) and one for digital (+/-5V).

A/D Grounds are joint at each chip level as manufactures are suggesting: I unfortunately formed in this way multiple small ground loops due to the parallel DAC configuration, but this can be also seen as a Ground network plane, hope with some benefits.
Analog and digital signals are fully separated in the board. Each chip's power supply is filtered with a RCLC network (R damping= 1 ohm, C=22uF OS-CON, L= ferrite bead, C=100nF or 220nF ceramic for digital, polyester for analog).
That was the best I could design for 8 chips in 10x15 cm perfboard. I would not expect any digital noise at all. I'm just a little worry if the 1 ohm damping series resistors will badly influence the sound or dynamic (but without the simulation has shown a huge resonance peak in the 1MHz area!)
Sockets are mandatory as I need to select the eight DAC chips one by one for the lowest THD (PCM56-S)
Pics are four but board is just one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PARALLEL PCM56.jpg (599.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg BOT BOARD.jpg (640.4 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg TOP BOARD MARK.jpg (600.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg BOT BOARD MARK.jpg (700.7 KB, 93 views)
Old 17th January 2019, 07:09 PM   #56
Ken Newton is offline Ken Newton  United States
diyAudio Member

You weren't joking about using Perf board.
Old 17th January 2019, 07:21 PM   #57
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Analog and digital signals are fully separated in the board. Each chip's power supply is filtered with a RCLC network (R damping= 1 ohm, C=22uF OS-CON, L= ferrite bead, C=100nF or 220nF ceramic for digital, polyester for analog).
That was the best I could design for 8 chips in 10x15 cm perfboard. I would not expect any digital noise at all. I'm just a little worry if the 1 ohm damping series resistors will badly influence the sound or dynamic (but without the simulation has shown a huge resonance peak in the 1MHz area!)
Instead of a resistor in series with the inductor, you could try an RC series network (or a cheap aluminium electrolytic with substantial ESR) in parallel with the capacitor. The frequency-dependent losses of the ferrite bead may also help to some extent, although most ferrite beads are still mainly inductive around 1 MHz.

Edit: I didn't realize yet that your caps are already electrolytics... Did you model their losses in your simulation?

Last edited by MarcelvdG; 17th January 2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 18th January 2019, 10:13 AM   #58
ygg-it is offline ygg-it  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelvdG View Post
Instead of a resistor in series with the inductor, you could try an RC series network (or a cheap aluminium electrolytic with substantial ESR) in parallel with the capacitor. The frequency-dependent losses of the ferrite bead may also help to some extent, although most ferrite beads are still mainly inductive around 1 MHz.

Edit: I didn't realize yet that your caps are already electrolytics... Did you model their losses in your simulation?
Hi, the resonance in the MHz area to smooth with the 1 ohm resistor is formed by the ferrite plus 100/220nF capacitor, not by the big 22uF electrolytic cap.
Old 21st January 2019, 07:01 PM   #59
nattawa is offline nattawa  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think the nut in the shell is to not allow digital current carrying GND conductors, be it power supply return current or digital signal return current, to become any part of the analog circuit. To achieve this goal we need to examine the physical current loops and make GND plane slits or separations accordingly. It is also important to place ceramic SMD bypass capacitors closets across the power pins and the associated GND pins of the chip, so that the capacitor shunts a current loop to its minimum physical size with respect to the higher frequency components in the current.

Do you really tie Analog GND and Digital GND at pin chip level in DAC/ReceiversHide this!Advertise here!