Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

The poor sound quality of Apple iPhones
The poor sound quality of Apple iPhones
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2019, 02:51 PM   #21
tapestryofsound is offline tapestryofsound  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Polkhigh View Post
So I cleaned the jack of the 4s with a cue tip and alcohol. Somehow it leaked into the case and ruined the screen. So that's the end of thr iphone 4s.
When you say the screen is ruined, what do mean by that? Can't even see how it could have penetrated the screen assembly. If you used a lot of iso propyl alcohol, and left it for awhile, it should have wicked off from the screen by now. How much did you use? A barely dampened cue tip would have been quite enough.
Old 8th January 2019, 12:14 AM   #22
33Polkhigh is offline 33Polkhigh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapestryofsound View Post
When you say the screen is ruined, what do mean by that? Can't even see how it could have penetrated the screen assembly. If you used a lot of iso propyl alcohol, and left it for awhile, it should have wicked off from the screen by now. How much did you use? A barely dampened cue tip would have been quite enough.
I used a cue tip dipped in alcohol. It somehow leaked through the jack and the alcohol damaged the screen from the inside. I also shot some air in there. Its supposed to be water tight but then alcohol isn't water.

I don't really care, I listened to it again and it sounds bad, like an old SS amplifier.
Old 8th January 2019, 01:06 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I used a cue tip dipped in alcohol. It somehow leaked through the jack and the alcohol damaged the screen from the inside. I also shot some air in there. Its supposed to be water tight but then alcohol isn't water.

I don't really care, I listened to it again and it sounds bad, like an old SS amplifier.
If you have blasted pressurised super cooled liquid freon gas into the iPhone audio jack it will have caused the damage you have mentioned - not the Q-tip moistened with isopropyl alcohol.

You say that the iPhone sounds like an old SS amplifier. That's not a really adequate description, as some old SS amplifiers can sound very quite good.

It sounds to be that you have an impedance mismatch with whatever you have plugged into the iPhone. Other than that, I cannot help you any further.

ToS
Old 8th January 2019, 01:17 PM   #24
33Polkhigh is offline 33Polkhigh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapestryofsound View Post
If you have blasted pressurised super cooled liquid freon gas into the iPhone audio jack it will have caused the damage you have mentioned - not the Q-tip moistened with isopropyl alcohol.

You say that the iPhone sounds like an old SS amplifier. That's not a really adequate description, as some old SS amplifiers can sound very quite good.

It sounds to be that you have an impedance mismatch with whatever you have plugged into the iPhone. Other than that, I cannot help you any further.

ToS
I can say for sure I didn't put freon in there. The sound is what I would describe as "tizzy" and sibilant. I have heard old solid state amps that probably have bad caps that sound similar.
I think there some components in there that are bad, it really wasn't designed for longevity.
Old 8th January 2019, 10:43 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think there some components in there that are bad, it really wasn't designed for longevity.
It sounds to me like the previous owner left the unit in something like a car's glove box and the electronics got cooked to the point where they are now beginning to fail.

The poor sound quality of Apple iPhonesHide this!Advertise here!