Cheap chi-fi DAC buy (<30 USD)

Hi !

I want to replace the Xonar DX soundcard with a low cost USB or SPDIF or Optical (off the onboard soundcard of my motherboard) due to space constraints caused by a modded graphics card. The source would be Amazon Music and my FLAC collection (Foobar player). Output of the DAC would be fed either to my Headphone (a crappy headphone which I wanna replace !) or the Yamaha AS500 integrated amp fed to a German (?) 3 way speaker.

So, any recommendation would be deeply appreciated.

Also looking for an open (or semi-closed) headphone or earphone. Same budget, 30 USD (lower the better:p).
Purpose ? gaming !

Thanks for reading and yeah, Happy New Year folks !:)

I was not referring to your budget; I don't think the term 'chi-fi' acceptable, as it is slightly derogatory.
Ok, understood,

As you're stumped for cash, have a look at my very cheap DAC 'PhiDAC' : lingDAC - cost effective RBCD multibit DAC design. I'll be sharing the gerbers in the next few days once I've made some basic measurements.

Its I2S input so you'll need a converter - cheap to go USB-I2S with this : PCB2706 USB?I2S?? ????Amanero ??????-???
So, you have a group buy in mind ?

I just don't have the soldering skills (lost it). So, can I buy a fully built board from you ?
Also need a headphone out.:eek:

No, I'm not thinking of doing a group buy myself but I'm open to supporting anyone who'd like to organize one. A fully built board from me would probably not come within your budget as I'm not yet set up for mass production - I'm hand-building at present and that gets a bit expensive in time (even though the parts are very cheap). A headphone output isn't a problem, I already have a PCB for that, so long as you're not needing to drive low-sensitivity cans.

The cheapest USB DACs I can recommend will use the SA9023 USB RX chip and an ESS 9023 DAC.

For example, two that I own and have measured:
Hifimediy ES9023 USB DAC - it's small, cheap ($35), and good. You can also order it from HiFiMeDIY.com
SA9023+ES9023 USB decoder 24bit/96KHz USB DAC WLX - there is a pic of the PCB, and you can sometimes find that bare for a little less. Performance is great for $30!

No, I'm not thinking of doing a group buy myself but I'm open to supporting anyone who'd like to organize one. A fully built board from me would probably not come within your budget as I'm not yet set up for mass production - I'm hand-building at present and that gets a bit expensive in time (even though the parts are very cheap). A headphone output isn't a problem, I already have a PCB for that, so long as you're not needing to drive low-sensitivity cans.

No, I don't have any high impedance headphones.

So, for a board with headphone out, can you put out a ballpark number (price), fully built ?

I'd guess you'd end up needing a PSU board too as the PhiDAC needs 9V, the headamp 7V and you're running from USB (5V). I'd give a ballpark for 3 PCBs (DAC, headphone buffer, PSU) at $110. Quite a bit beyond your budget I'd hazard.

On second thoughts I can probably mod the PhiDAC to drive headphones direct, so long as they're above 50ohm impedance. Are yours? I'd want to try it out first though before confirming you could dispense with the buffer board.

Last edited:
The cheapest USB DACs I can recommend will use the SA9023 USB RX chip and an ESS 9023 DAC.

For example, two that I own and have measured:
Hifimediy ES9023 USB DAC - it's small, cheap ($35), and good. You can also order it from HiFiMeDIY.com
SA9023+ES9023 USB decoder 24bit/96KHz USB DAC WLX - there is a pic of the PCB, and you can sometimes find that bare for a little less. Performance is great for $30!

Excellent suggestions :hphones:
I thought they were out of budget.

Btw, found this one on AliExpress

SE1 ES9018 ES9018K2M USB decoder HIFI audio card DAC headphone amplifier earphone amp-in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I'd guess you'd end up needing a PSU board too as the PhiDAC needs 9V, the headamp 7V and you're running from USB (5V). I'd give a ballpark for 3 PCBs (DAC, headphone buffer, PSU) at $110. Quite a bit beyond your budget I'd hazard.

On second thoughts I can probably mod the PhiDAC to drive headphones direct, so long as they're above 50ohm impedance. Are yours? I'd want to try it out first though before confirming you could dispense with the buffer board.

110 USD is a huge ask, at the moment.
No offense to you but I would rather get a used high-end dac for that price from my local hi-fi forum.:eek:

Regarding the headphones, I just don't know. It's a low quality flea market one. I want to get a better one as mentioned in my original post.

It would appear so, is still usb powered however, maybe the more recent usb3 specification gives a substantial boost in juice to make a difference, I haven’t tried that.
Probably the best plug in ready unit for that price, but I haven’t tried it either, so take that for what it’s worth I guess.

It would appear so, is still usb powered however, maybe the more recent usb3 specification gives a substantial boost in juice to make a difference, I haven’t tried that.
Probably the best plug in ready unit for that price, but I haven’t tried it either, so take that for what it’s worth I guess.

Yeah, seems like a better option.

By the way, if I increase the budget further to like 50-60 USD, can I get a decent DAC which can rival my Xonar DX ?
Would be great if it has a headphone out option too !

hifi decoder XMOS U8 + AK4490 AMP NE5532 USB DAC Sound Card Headphone Output Support for PCM 192kHz-in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

EDIT:

One more

NEW K.GUSS XMOS U8 + AK4490 AMP NE5532 USB DAC Decoder Sound Card Headphone Output Support for PCM 192kHz DC9V, Free shipping-in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

There is more...

SA9226 ES9028Q2M DSD USB Decoder DAC 3.5mm Audio Output 32Bit 192KHz for PC Android Phone Pad HIFI amplifier G8 011-in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Original XMOS+ PCM5102 + TDA1308 USB decoder board USB DAC 384KHZ/32bit New | eBay

Its seems like going for an optical input DAC is better interms of electrical noise reduction!

Its seems like going for an optical input DAC is better interms of electrical noise reduction!
Nope, my on-board audio card doesn't have a digital out option:(

There's more !

2018 New FX AUDIO MINI DAC X3 Digital Audio Decoder Input USB/Coaxial/Optical Max 24Bit/192KHz Headphone Audio Amplifier -in Headphone Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Nobsound Mini HiFi Sound Card DAC TDA1387 USB 8X Audio Decoding Headphone Amplifier DTS/AC3 Coaxial Optical Digital Output-in Headphone Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Lee L1969 DAC pure class a USB decoding headphone amp one machine, Android OTG for apple PC portable headphone amplifier-in Headphone Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Dilvpoetry DAC X6 Hifi USB DAC Headphone Amplifier Home Portable Headphones Amplifier DAC Audio Amplifier Headphone Amp USB-in Headphone Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Dilvpoetry DAC X6 Home DAC Amplifier Audio Decoder Portable USB DAC Audio Amplifier Headphone Amp Optical Hifi Amplifiers-in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The 2nd link is a Lee's Audio designed TDA1387 DAC with great modding potential.

The 3rd link is by the same guy but uses a TDA1305, I haven't gotten good sound out of one of those yet. Some bypass the internal opamps and say it sounds great when so modded, not something I've tried. Steer well clear unless you love 'electronic-y' sound.