Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Cheap chi-fi DAC buy (<30 USD)
Cheap chi-fi DAC buy (<30 USD)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2019, 02:29 PM   #21
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Chi-Fi --->> very good description. I like it
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:47 PM   #22
eljoantonyn is offline eljoantonyn  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
The 2nd link is a Lee's Audio designed TDA1387 DAC with great modding potential.

The 3rd link is by the same guy but uses a TDA1305, I haven't gotten good sound out of one of those yet. Some bypass the internal opamps and say it sounds great when so modded, not something I've tried. Steer well clear unless you love 'electronic-y' sound.
2nd link:
Very interesting design vs others with 8 nos of tda1305. I'm not an electronics engineer but that thing is intriguing.

3rd link:
The highlight is the amp, the jlh 1969.
By the way, what you mean by electronic sound ?
V-shaped frequency response?

Thanks for your observations abraxalito

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Chi-Fi --->> very good description. I like it
Chinese Hi-Fi , that's what I meant.
But, some doesn't like it, apparently !

By the way, the dac of the second link outputs at 1.5V. is that ok ?
I thought 2 or 2.5V was the norm ?
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:15 PM   #23
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Usb power is really going to hold any of those back, there was at least one that uses an external power supply, wall-wart transformer I thought, that’d probably be my choice.
The sound card that is built in to a laptop will sound very similar really, without a better supply.
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:20 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase View Post
Usb power is really going to hold any of those back, there was at least one that uses an external power supply, wall-wart transformer I thought, that’d probably be my choice.
The sound card that is built in to a laptop will sound very similar really, without a better supply.
What if I connect it to the USB 3 port ?
Would it work ?
Old 4th January 2019, 01:25 AM   #25
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljoantonyn View Post
2nd link:
Very interesting design vs others with 8 nos of tda1305. I'm not an electronics engineer but that thing is intriguing.
TDA1387 - its the 3rd link with the TDA1305. Definitely an intriguing chip I agree.

Quote:
3rd link:
The highlight is the amp, the jlh 1969.
By the way, what you mean by electronic sound ?
V-shaped frequency response?
I don't know another way to put it other than a kind of phasey-ness, just not a natural sound. No, nothing to do with the frequency response as far as I know. Out of TDA1305 it's bound to be flat enough.

Quote:
Thanks for your observations abraxalito
You're welcome. Coming any closer to making your decision?
Old 4th January 2019, 01:59 AM   #26
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

The usb powered DACs that I have used sounded pretty much like the headphone out on my laptop.
Old 4th January 2019, 02:03 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
If USB power is used directly then I would agree its a major limitation on the subjective performance of a DAC/amp. But some DACs will have internal boost converters to step up the 5V bus power to something higher - no reason those shouldn't perform well. Look on the PCB to see if there's a PSU controller chip next to an inductor.
Old 4th January 2019, 02:31 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
TDA1387 - its the 3rd link with the TDA1305. Definitely an intriguing chip I agree.

I don't know another way to put it other than a kind of phasey-ness, just not a natural sound. No, nothing to do with the frequency response as far as I know. Out of TDA1305 it's bound to be flat enough.

You're welcome. Coming any closer to making your decision?
Oh ok

If it's sounds artificial, don't want it.

Haha...I was about to commit until I read the following comments....

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase View Post
The usb powered DACs that I have used sounded pretty much like the headphone out on my laptop.
Quote:
If USB power is used directly then I would agree its a major limitation on the subjective performance of a DAC/amp. But some DACs will have internal boost converters to step up the 5V bus power to something higher - no reason those shouldn't perform well. Look on the PCB to see if there's a PSU controller chip next to an inductor.
Does the dac in the second link have the psu controller ?
Old 4th January 2019, 02:36 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Photos of the board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8B733272-5331-48D0-B3CF-A5F4CDF3E3A6.jpeg (180.4 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpeg 418E82E5-6C01-4DBE-B75F-A4151995E9F5.jpeg (166.6 KB, 144 views)
Old 4th January 2019, 02:41 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

No, that one's using USB power directly. So you'd be better off adding an external 5V PSU rather than using the USB bus power.

Cheap chi-fi DAC buy (<30 USD)Hide this!Advertise here!