Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Cheap chi-fi DAC buy (<30 USD)
Cheap chi-fi DAC buy (<30 USD)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2019, 01:26 PM   #171
zek is offline zek
diyAudio Member

DIY is a free hobby that costs a lot.
Old 16th February 2019, 03:48 PM   #172
eljoantonyn is offline eljoantonyn  India
diyAudio Member

Yeah lol !

I would be posting the results of the soft recovery diode addition tomorrow, if I can feel it of course.
Old 17th February 2019, 01:15 PM   #173
diyAudio Member

SO, I soldered the rectifiers in with some difficulty as those were BIG ! Had to bend the leads of the second one to fit in the holes and yeah, lots of sandpaper action !

Then, I turned on the DAC and ......thankfully nothing happened like amp exploding, main elcb tripping, power supply caps bursting into flames etc.

BUT THE THE the sound...its like...I don't know how to describe it. I was playing the "The National Anthem - Live in France" of Radiohead and I could even hear the chickens in their pens right next to the concert venue!
The sound stage is pure 4D like I'm sitting inside the stage where the band was performing
What a change !!!

lol no

I could not hear any change at all. May be a bit better bass ?
Might be my mind playing tricks
Old 17th February 2019, 01:18 PM   #174
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Welcome to diy.
Old 17th February 2019, 01:24 PM   #175
diyAudio Member

Hi Phase !
Thank you and all the diyaudio members for your help and comments !

I'm yet to receive the X2 0.1uF 440V but I'll get the X2 0.1uF 306V soon.
Can I use it (306V) for mains filtering for the time being ?
Is 440V rating absolutely necessary ?

I have a X2 0.33uF 440V BTW !
Old 17th February 2019, 01:24 PM   #176
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljoantonyn View Post
I could not hear any change at all.
It just means that rectifiers probably weren't your biggest problem with sound quality. If you get your dac very clean then you very well might hear effects from transformer ringing and need to do something to fix it.

Or, you might go about doing things a little out of order by fixing things first that aren't really the biggest problems, simply because you find them doable now. People often do are things like swapping caps and opamps because that is what they know how to do, not because they know exactly what is causing all the limitations of sound quality.

Also, to some extent as a hobbyist you may have to experiment to learn and to find out what needs fixing the most. If you read about my journey modding ES9038Q2M dac boards you can see there has been a lot of work involved in trying many different things. It wasn't until rather recently that I found some transformer noise/ringing problems I had to do something about, but I didn't know when it was going to happen, or if I would ever need to. In that case it was the 3rd transformer I tried that worked best and solved the problem.

Last edited by Markw4; 17th February 2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 17th February 2019, 01:30 PM   #177
diyAudio Member

@Markw4

There is some change in sound but I'm not 100% sure whether its the "expectation bias" or not.

Yes, there may be lots of stuff going with the DAC like fake components, badly designed circuits, wrong values of components used etc. Now, I need to find out. I'll start with the PCM2704 and the WM8740 datasheet.
Let me see if I can spot any error !
Old 17th February 2019, 01:35 PM   #178
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There is some change in sound but I'm not 100% sure whether its the "expectation bias" or not.
Well, how do you think it sounds different? If a difference can be explained by Fletcher and Munsen, then very likely not real. Even less than .1dB volume difference can make something sound better or worse, although it may not be perceived as louder or softer exactly. So, I always recommend to adjust the volume control and listen for things that don't change with small volume level changes. The little details of cymbal sounds at different frequencies in a piece of well recorded music can be very revealing/enlightening.
Old 17th February 2019, 01:49 PM   #179
diyAudio Member

Well, I used the same songs with the same volume (volume control is with my integrated amp) before and after.

Like I said its like bass hits a tiny bit harder ? I don't know !
I'll do a listening comparison vs my iPad (my amp have multiple inputs) after getting the AC filtering capacitor fitted to the transformer primary.
Old 17th February 2019, 01:59 PM   #180
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well, I used the same songs with the same volume (volume control is with my integrated amp) before and after.
Same songs are good, so long as they are well recorded and not too distorted themselves. Leaving the volume the same is not good, you need to adjust the volume while you listen to see what effect it has. Since it can easily change bass perception relative to other frequencies, it can be hard to be sure about bass changes. Helps to have a reference dac or sound source to compare with before and after the change. Is the bass different relative to the reference source (while adjusting the the volume of each one to see how it affects the sound) that you can A/B listen to now (and not having to rely on your memory of the bass from before)? The more accurate the reference source is, the more useful it probably is to have around to use kind of like a type of test instrument. I understand not everybody can do that, especially when working on a first project, just saying it can be helpful if you can manage to arrange for it.

Last edited by Markw4; 17th February 2019 at 02:03 PM.

Cheap chi-fi DAC buy (<30 USD)Hide this!Advertise here!