China ES9018PRO ES9028PRO 9038PRO mods&upgrades

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used LT1763 with ES9038Q2M, worked fine.

Also, AD797 sounds better for AVCC use than LDOs I have tried. However, it needs sufficient local electrolytic energy storage on the rails not too far away from the opamp in order to produce best bass. Have to be careful using AD797 with too low ESR caps and or too close to the IC (there is a mention in the app section of the data sheet about bypass caps). It needs a little ESR for stability, but bass reproduction doesn't need low ESR at high frequencies anyway so standard aluminum electrolytics worked okay for me. Another thing to keep in mind is that AD797 can't output enough current to power ES9038PRO AVCC loads. Maybe work okay for ES9028PRO, fine for ES9038Q2M.

Thanks seems like you have a lot of experience with Dac building and modificatins?
Yes i have es9018 Dac with ad797 power supply and oscon capacitors. I have checked dacs on eBay but it seems they don't use so fine power supply today?

Please check my attached schematic hope it is okay for "audiodesine"

Attachments

• ES9018 DAC SCHEMATIC.pdf
    626.4 KB · Views: 232
From a brief look at the schematic, there are a few thoughts that come to mind. (1) Better to use a low noise voltage reference for the AD797 AVCC buffers rather than DVCC, which is pretty noisy. LT3042 can make a good reference, so can LTC6655. Up to you though. (2) ES9018 is an older chip and not the best sounding one ESS ever made. I would go for ES9028PRO if possible. (3) ESS dacs have some low level RF coming out of the dac chip analog outputs. Very slight filtering before the I/V opamp can help some and then much more passive filtering before the differential summing stage can help remove audible distortion from RF that does not show up so well on typical distortion FFTs. Any filter before the I/V has to be very mild since any series resistance will increase distortion, and any capacitance to ground will cause gain peaking in the I/V opamp. I have use twisted pair wire wrap wire running along the dac board ground plane between the dac outputs and the I/V inputs with some success. Other people have found their own solutions such as Allo recently talking about with respect to their new 'revolution' ES9038Q2M-based dac. Passive filtering after the I/V is less tricky, but it helps to attenuate any RF as much as possible before the differential summing stage since that particular opamp topology seems a bit more sensitive the RF than the inverting topology of the I/V opamps. EDIT: ESS is now using OPA1612 opamps for the output stage in their latest evaluation boards, rather than AD797. Don't know if cost is the only issue or not. EDIT: (4) Sabre dacs sound best with ASRC disabled and in 128_fs mode, which is to say they sound best in fully synchronous operation rather than async. That means the end up looking a lot like an AKM based dac in that there are separate master clocks for 44khz family and 48kHz family sample rates. (5) Schematics don't show layout information nor other external connected circuitry. There are some considerations there to think about too, such as number of PCB layers, layout of voltage regulators, output stage etc. The document at ESS downloads page is a good start but probably not completely up to date: http://www.esstech.com/files/4514/4095/4306/Application_Note_Component_Selection_and_PCB_Layout.pdf

Last edited:
I am not using the IV stage I have connected zapfilter 2 instead it sounds great but with reduced volume in the dac arduino firmware about -15dB.
Because zapfilter is not made for ess Dac with high output current, so that could also be a compromise.
Yes thinking upgrading/replacing iv stage to get right output level and maybe get higher sound quality than zapfilter 2.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.