Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever
AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2018, 05:05 PM   #1
diyralf is offline diyralf
diyAudio Member

Default AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever

In January 2019 comes the new DAC AK4499EQ from AKM. If you can believe the given values, then this DAC is probably the best that ever existed. Since we can look forward to even better audio analyzers. From the site: It achieves the world’s highest class of low THD+N and high S/N. Samples will be available in January, 2019, and Mass Production starts from May, 2019.

AK4499EQ: THD+N -124dB
AK4497EQ (predecessor): THD+N -116dB

AKM releases their latest flagship audio DAC, the VERITA AK4499, achieving THD+N: -124dB and S/N: 140dB | News | AKM - Asahi Kasei Microdevices

Last edited by diyralf; 19th December 2018 at 05:43 AM.
Old 18th December 2018, 05:27 PM   #2
weissi is offline weissi  Austria
diyAudio Member

Well, at least the best measuring audio DAC...
Old 19th December 2018, 11:38 PM   #3
Ken Newton is offline Ken Newton  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weissi View Post
Well, at least the best measuring audio DAC...
+1
Old 19th December 2018, 11:40 PM   #4
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever
There's already a thread on it, and the the title of this post is misspelled.
Old 31st March 2019, 02:10 PM   #5
arivel is offline arivel  Italy
diyAudio Member

Can it be used in NOS mode?
Old 31st March 2019, 02:17 PM   #6
Mark Whitney is offline Mark Whitney  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

LOL
Old 24th July 2019, 02:30 AM   #7
hollowman is offline hollowman  United States
diyAudio Member

Back in the early 2000s, TI intro'd the PCM1792 with 132db s/n (mono) ... and, like the new AKM, the TI is current output.
So, the 16 years or so between the monolithic designs has not improved specs all that much.
Ahh .... the designers must spent time with "careful" voicing and subjective tests ... yeah, that's it!!
Funny, tho ... neither TI nor Cirrus/Crystal have followed up -- over the same time frame -- with serious replacements: the 1792 and CS4398 are still in production.
Only AKM and ESS seem to be "re-inventing" their orig. SD designs from over a decade ago.

Note: The specs are claimed my manuf. per their datasheet.
Old 24th July 2019, 02:38 AM   #8
abraxalito is online now abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Unlike the new AKM, the TI chip had a real current output (i.e. high impedance).
Old 24th July 2019, 03:48 AM   #9
chris719 is offline chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
Back in the early 2000s, TI intro'd the PCM1792 with 132db s/n (mono) ... and, like the new AKM, the TI is current output.
So, the 16 years or so between the monolithic designs has not improved specs all that much.
Ahh .... the designers must spent time with "careful" voicing and subjective tests ... yeah, that's it!!
Funny, tho ... neither TI nor Cirrus/Crystal have followed up -- over the same time frame -- with serious replacements: the 1792 and CS4398 are still in production.
Only AKM and ESS seem to be "re-inventing" their orig. SD designs from over a decade ago.

Note: The specs are claimed my manuf. per their datasheet.
CS43198 is a pretty good improvement over CS4398, especially given the power consumption and features.

TI probably doesn't feel the need to compete in this inaudible spec war.

The THD of the newer parts has improved, too. Especially if you compare the AKM DACs from the time PCM1792 was released to now. They may not have made huge progress relative to PCM1792, but they have come a pretty long way from their own products of the day.

Surely, you recognize it is difficult to squeeze out the last bit of performance. It's not easy to reach 23-bit performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Unlike the new AKM, the TI chip had a real current output (i.e. high impedance).
Does it really matter? Current outputs are only useful for this spec war. Outside of the audiophile market (and maybe a few test and measurement folks), no one will buy a current output audio DAC.

Last edited by chris719; 24th July 2019 at 03:51 AM.
Old 24th July 2019, 04:03 AM   #10
abraxalito is online now abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Does it really matter?
Does to me. Can't speak for anyone else though.

Quote:
Current outputs are only useful for this spec war.
How so? I find current outputs useful as it allows filtering prior to any active stage and adding the filter does produce subjective improvement (not only to my ears). Trying to add a passive filter to an ESS or AKM resistor array DAC does look rather fraught to me.

AK4499EQ - Best DAC everHide this!Advertise here!