AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever

Something i realized today watching some Youtube presentations of extremely high end systems was that one is expected to listen to excruciatingly boring music to evaluate the sound. This is a torture that I will pass on. Do audiophiles really sit around listening to this shite?

I was really left behind, I did not imagine that today an audio device was presented on Youtube.
Maybe because of working in the IT I have a little aversion towards modern communication systems and social media.

BTW, I think the music used to evaluate a sound system doesn't have to be necessarily boring, although of course it depends on personal taste.

Although my preference for classical music (maybe because I am European and I have enjoyed playing the piano since I was a teenager) I can also listen to some modern or contemporary songs in order to evaluate an audio system without getting too bored.

Usually my first testbench is Beethoven - Piano Sonata No.23 Appassionata performed by Baniel Baremboim.
This great piece of music history contains dynamics and transients able to embarrassing most systems.
The grand piano is rarely reproduced quite realistically.
This single testbench is already capable of providing a precise idea of ​​the sound quality of the system and of revealing the differences compared to other systems.

Then I can also easily listen to other music genres without getting too depressed.
For example, I find it pleasant listening to Columbus performed by Mary Black since she has a spectacular voice.
Again a good testbench song (vocal, piano, bass, drums, string).
This song is very useful for evaluating the system's ability to correctly recreate the soundstage.
It also helps in evaluating the midrange, any graininess stands out clearly.

Other pieces that I normally use for this purpose are:
Eric Bibb - I Want Jesus to Walk with Me
Enya - Fairy Tale
Archie Shepp Quartet - More than you know
Carol Kidd - When I dream
Steve Howe - Cantata No. 140
Steven Wilson - The Watchmaker
John Campbell - Down In The Hole
Hugh Masekela - Stimela
Patricia Barber - Let it rain

And back to classical music:
The Well Tempered Clavier performed by Sviatoslav Richter
Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto no. 3 performed by Vladimir Ashkenazy
G.Karr - Gavotte in D Major
Prokofiev - The Dance Of The Knights

Although those obsessed with measurements will disagree, the above mix of music helps a lot understanding the sound quality of whatever audio system.
As well as they help to clearly distinguish the differences between audio devices.

I think that the audio nerdites and their minions have completely lost the sense of audio: enjoying of listen to music.
They spend their time on measuring, looking at plots and comparing numbers rather than listen to music.
This is the real waste of time.

I forgot, the minions are the most curious category, deserving of in-depth psychological analysis.

Last edited:
It may make you feel better to believe that your opponents dont listen to music; but I can assure you it is a ridiculous notion. I wouldnt even put myself into a box as an opponent, to be clear. But you may, I dont know. Myself, unless I absolutely cannot have music playing; it is almost always on, either as background, to help me think, or when i'm not working, for sheer enjoyment. All sorts, well, except for country and western and crappy commercial Hip Hop.

Last edited:
Although those obsessed with measurements will disagree, the above mix of music helps a lot understanding the sound quality of whatever audio system.
As well as they help to clearly distinguish the differences between audio devices.

I think that the audio nerdites and their minions have completely lost the sense of audio: enjoying of listen to music.
They spend their time on measuring, looking at plots and comparing numbers rather than listen to music.
This is the real waste of time.

I forgot, the minions are the most curious category, deserving of in-depth psychological analysis.

Chill dude, let it go.

It may make you feel better to believe that your opponents dont listen to music; but I can assure you it is a ridiculous notion. I wouldnt even put myself into a box as an opponent, to be clear. But you may, I dont know. Myself, unless I absolutely cannot have music playing; it is almost always on, either as background, to help me think, or when i'm not working, for sheer enjoyment. All sorts, well, except for country and western and crappy commercial Hip Hop.

I'm glad to know that you listen to music, obviously you don't belong to the category I was referring to.

Are there any updates on new AK4499 dacs?

I see that this thread has continued to thrive as a boxing court for the subjectivists vs objectivists crowds, and lately it turned its focus on the bland character of audiophile music...

Meanwhile, has anyone done listening tests, tweaking etc. with any of the commercial AK4499 dacs out there? Tht topping got a lot of attention, but is there any new info/experience with the other more elaborate designs like Gustard, Singxer etc...?

Ahum.. I am still going ahead with my Yanasoft kit. It gives me a lot of return, and delicious headaches..
I had put hands on a Topping D90, as well. It helps to put in perspective also my kit dac. Was thinking about also to tweak that, but for now it seems easier and more fruitful to continue with the japan design.. I will also have some clocks from Andrea, to measure & put into the system as well. The Yanasan board is piloted from an external master oscillator, as per original design. So it will be natural just to swap clock subsystems.

I am using an IV board with OPA1656+ OPA828 like an diff/SE converter. Right now I'am reconfiguring the output filter design, got interested in Rutgers very nice work in a constant group delay filter stage.

(as a comparison, I have also a full svale of R2R classic chips, several working dac's with PCM63, 58, TDA1541 and maybe some day an AD1862.

Ciao, G

Ahum.. I am still going ahead with my Yanasoft kit. It gives me a lot of return, and delicious headaches..
I had put hands on a Topping D90, as well. It helps to put in perspective also my kit dac. Was thinking about also to tweak that, but for now it seems easier and more fruitful to continue with the japan design.. I will also have some clocks from Andrea, to measure & put into the system as well. The Yanasan board is piloted from an external master oscillator, as per original design. So it will be natural just to swap clock subsystems.

I am using an IV board with OPA1656+ OPA828 like an diff/SE converter. Right now I'am reconfiguring the output filter design, got interested in Rutgers very nice work in a constant group delay filter stage.

(as a comparison, I have also a full svale of R2R classic chips, several working dac's with PCM63, 58, TDA1541 and maybe some day an AD1862.

Ciao, G

Hi George,

is there a chance to get a diy board like your?

Does it support I2S vs PCM and external clock?

I would try a DIY AK4499 board with our FIFO.

Andrea

Sure, even more, it only accepts I2S (or DSD)
Yes, it works in modality I2S, with PCM or DSD coding.
The I2S input is galvanically separated.
The master clock is not, it is connected to the master dac GND directly. (it jumps directly behind the isolation barrier)

But but.. The very sad fact is that Yanasan had stopped, abruptly, his business.. No boards or anything is available any more. Truely bad.

All the best, G

Sure, even more, it only accepts I2S (or DSD)
Yes, it works in modality I2S, with PCM or DSD coding.
The I2S input is galvanically separated.
The master clock is not, it is connected to the master dac GND directly. (it jumps directly behind the isolation barrier)

But but.. The very sad fact is that Yanasan had stopped, abruptly, his business.. No boards or anything is available any more. Truely bad.

All the best, G

Have you any board left?

No no, unfortunately, it was only a test from my side.. And when it came out positive, already and suddenly Yanasan had gone down. Duh and duh, really. (we had more persons interested, in our circles..) It could be redone in some way.
But now without the chips I don't know if it was worth it, and how to proceed with testing, eventually.

Last edited:
Have Topping D90, Benchmark DAC-3 (ES9028PRO), and my AK4499 eval board setup. Don't have a high end ladder dac.

Basically, D90 sounds better than DAC-3 in multiple perceptual dimensions. The AK4499 eval board setup is preferred by listeners over both the foregoing commercial dacs. However, the eval board is no longer in stock form.

The above having been said, the dacs vary in more ways than just dac chips.

Last edited: