Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever
AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 06:19 PM   #331
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post

The Crystek 90.3M / 98.3M XO's will also be a higher Q overtone circuits - again very good for phase noise.
John,
I've never seen Crystek clocks in those frequencies, but Accusilicon makes some...
Old Today, 06:31 PM   #332
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
It probably has a lot to do how one phrase and express oneself. Either as one that shares a personal experience or one that express a fact. In this seemingly trivial difference lie 75 percent of all controversy on this site I think. (see how I ended that sentence . ..)

Stay cool.

//
Is this the kind of post you mean?
Quote:
These are great parts - I've been introduced to the AK4498 a year ago by AKM japan and at the time the engineers where using it with a FPGA development board - we heard the combination verses there highest end device and I can attest that they sound VERY much better!! Which makes them VERY VERY good indeed!!!

If the AK4191 digital section is as good as the FPGA demo solution I heard, then the combination its going to be very VERY good - I'm pretty sure the best "off the shelf DAC" solution available today when correctly implemented!!!
Old Today, 06:57 PM   #333
chris719 is online now chris719  United States
diyAudio Member

AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever
Quote:
Mark,

I'm quite weary about NDK parts (although I use there Temp compensated VCXO parts).

A while back we measured the phase noise of new MEMs type parts and remeasured about a year later only to find a significant increase in phase noise with age - so it appears that MEMs oscillators wear out over time...

I've never read any details about this - so stay WELL away from MEM's parts.

What worries me about NDK parts is that its not clear if the part is a real Crystal based clock or MEM's - I've seen the MEM's parts described as Crystal oscillator modules, when the are clearly not - (MEM's is not a Quarts Crystal).

While the NDK SA parts might be really good parts (never measured or used them) - I'd recommend Crystek 90.3M / 98.3M parts and Divide down by 4 to 22M / 24M, this results in a 12dB reduction in phase noise (and buffers the Oscillator circuit from external loading effects).

The Crystek 90.3M / 98.3M XO's will also be a higher Q overtone circuits - again very good for phase noise.
The NDK parts are clearly crystal oscillators. I'm not sure why you would think otherwise. It's MEMS not MEM's, also. SiTime claims no aging mechanism and a quick search could produce nothing indicating that will happen. Forgive me for believing them for now over your uncontrolled test of sample size N=1.

Last edited by chris719; Today at 07:06 PM.

AK4499EQ - Best DAC everHide this!Advertise here!