Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever
AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2021, 11:05 AM   #1451
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Ah, my mother likes his diction
Old 2nd March 2021, 12:38 PM   #1452
Lucas_G is offline Lucas_G  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Are there any updates on new AK4499 dacs?

I see that this thread has continued to thrive as a boxing court for the subjectivists vs objectivists crowds, and lately it turned its focus on the bland character of audiophile music...

Meanwhile, has anyone done listening tests, tweaking etc. with any of the commercial AK4499 dacs out there? Tht topping got a lot of attention, but is there any new info/experience with the other more elaborate designs like Gustard, Singxer etc...?
Old 2nd March 2021, 01:15 PM   #1453
Joseph K is offline Joseph K  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Ahum.. I am still going ahead with my Yanasoft kit. It gives me a lot of return, and delicious headaches..
I had put hands on a Topping D90, as well. It helps to put in perspective also my kit dac. Was thinking about also to tweak that, but for now it seems easier and more fruitful to continue with the japan design.. I will also have some clocks from Andrea, to measure & put into the system as well. The Yanasan board is piloted from an external master oscillator, as per original design. So it will be natural just to swap clock subsystems.

I am using an IV board with OPA1656+ OPA828 like an diff/SE converter. Right now I'am reconfiguring the output filter design, got interested in Rutgers very nice work in a constant group delay filter stage.

(as a comparison, I have also a full svale of R2R classic chips, several working dac's with PCM63, 58, TDA1541 and maybe some day an AD1862.

Ciao, G
Old 2nd March 2021, 01:48 PM   #1454
andrea_mori is offline andrea_mori  Italy
diyAudio Member

AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph K View Post
Ahum.. I am still going ahead with my Yanasoft kit. It gives me a lot of return, and delicious headaches..
I had put hands on a Topping D90, as well. It helps to put in perspective also my kit dac. Was thinking about also to tweak that, but for now it seems easier and more fruitful to continue with the japan design.. I will also have some clocks from Andrea, to measure & put into the system as well. The Yanasan board is piloted from an external master oscillator, as per original design. So it will be natural just to swap clock subsystems.

I am using an IV board with OPA1656+ OPA828 like an diff/SE converter. Right now I'am reconfiguring the output filter design, got interested in Rutgers very nice work in a constant group delay filter stage.

(as a comparison, I have also a full svale of R2R classic chips, several working dac's with PCM63, 58, TDA1541 and maybe some day an AD1862.

Ciao, G
Hi George,

is there a chance to get a diy board like your?

Does it support I2S vs PCM and external clock?

I would try a DIY AK4499 board with our FIFO.

Andrea
Old 2nd March 2021, 02:52 PM   #1455
diyAudio Member

Sure, even more, it only accepts I2S (or DSD)
Yes, it works in modality I2S, with PCM or DSD coding.
The I2S input is galvanically separated.
The master clock is not, it is connected to the master dac GND directly. (it jumps directly behind the isolation barrier)

But but.. The very sad fact is that Yanasan had stopped, abruptly, his business.. No boards or anything is available any more. Truely bad.

All the best, G
Old 2nd March 2021, 03:57 PM   #1456
andrea_mori is offline andrea_mori  Italy
diyAudio Member

AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph K View Post
Sure, even more, it only accepts I2S (or DSD)
Yes, it works in modality I2S, with PCM or DSD coding.
The I2S input is galvanically separated.
The master clock is not, it is connected to the master dac GND directly. (it jumps directly behind the isolation barrier)

But but.. The very sad fact is that Yanasan had stopped, abruptly, his business.. No boards or anything is available any more. Truely bad.

All the best, G
Have you any board left?
Old 2nd March 2021, 04:23 PM   #1457
diyAudio Member

No no, unfortunately, it was only a test from my side.. And when it came out positive, already and suddenly Yanasan had gone down. Duh and duh, really. (we had more persons interested, in our circles..) It could be redone in some way.
But now without the chips I don't know if it was worth it, and how to proceed with testing, eventually.

Last edited by Joseph K; 2nd March 2021 at 04:26 PM.
Old 2nd March 2021, 05:36 PM   #1458
rfbrw is offline rfbrw
diyAudio Member

Back to ESS or forward to Rohm not that there seems to be much momentum behind the Rohm chip.
Old 2nd March 2021, 06:12 PM   #1459
diyAudio Member

So yes, actually, if somebody would come forward here, about comparisons of the 4499 based and the top ESS (9038 pro?) based devices.. Smsl Su-9? Oktodac stereo?
Or the better discrete ladder devices..

Ciao, G
Old 2nd March 2021, 07:00 PM   #1460
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Have Topping D90, Benchmark DAC-3 (ES9028PRO), and my AK4499 eval board setup. Don't have a high end ladder dac.

Basically, D90 sounds better than DAC-3 in multiple perceptual dimensions. The AK4499 eval board setup is preferred by listeners over both the foregoing commercial dacs. However, the eval board is no longer in stock form.

The above having been said, the dacs vary in more ways than just dac chips.

Last edited by Markw4; 2nd March 2021 at 07:06 PM.

AK4499EQ - Best DAC everHide this!Advertise here!