Multichannel DSD256?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey all by accident i found https://www.channelclassics.com/ and was pleased to see that they have ALOT multichannel DSD256 :) as far as i know sacd multichannel are "only" dsd64 :) and after some youtubing i would love to try dsd256 but that seems to be not that easy....the dac side seems manageable ..found some dacs that can do 8ch (need only 6) ak4458,ESS Sabre 9018

but to get the DSD256 to the dac seems to be VERY tough :D commercial solutions use usb or ethernet... i looked at xmos and some diyinhl usb interfaces but seems non is nativ DSD256 compatbile. is there any commercial available usb interface that dont break the bank? and FPGA programing like in the comercial players like merging nadac cost around 12000$? little to much ;)

any tips and input welcome :)

cheer janosch

The only mostly out of the box option I know of is a Beaglebone Black with the botic kernel. That would give you I2s output to feed most DACs.
A more questionable solution is multiple stereo USB interfaces driven by the same USB bus (to avoid clocking issues) and channel splitting done in the OS (ALSA on Linux).
I'm waiting for a better solution as well.

:O ids the beaglebone black able to do pcm768? cause on my stereo system which uses the dam 1021 and the dop to dsd board from iancanada its limited to dsd128 because of the rpi limitaion to pcm 384 hmmmm and multiple boards kind of suck :D but on the other hand 3 rpi cost less then of the commercial dacs the powercable ;) exciting times :)

fun fact even the ps audio direct stream can only do dsd128 hmm :)

There was some discussion over on the Xmos forums about bandwidth of the USB interface and there were some calculations based on the high speed USB packet size and how much audio data that can carry. If you search Xmos multi-channel DSD you should be able to find it.
I think there was speculation that in order to handle that much data you might have to use multiple Xmos chips but I don't think they had the newest gen chips when that discussion happened.
The merging interface seems very nice and they have a devkit that should be usable (when they release it) and you can do isolation using optical Ethernet and even break up the streams over multiple devices easily.

hmm on the xmos forum i looked one guy managed to get 4chanels multichannel native DSD - Page 2 - XCore Exchange but dont know which dsd flavor :) i just looked at some new uhd bd players the panasonic ub9000 can do dsd up to dsd256 but only 2 chanels im also not shure if it outputs mulitchanel dsd over the analoge outs or the hmdi hmhm seems not like a clean solution :) and merging is giving out there interface? thats interessing but the fact that the hole dac is 11500$ unlickly it will be cheap :(

They are not giving it away for free :) it will cost something but probably less than a the DAC :)
Here is the thread with the bandwidth discussion: DSD USB AUDIO 2.0 MULTICHANNEL REFERENCE DESIGN - XCore Exchange

also, another member on this forum said he got the diyinhg multichannel USB interface to do 4 channel DSD64 with firmware tweaks from the post you mentioned.

Also, Russ at twisted pear audio is working on a multichannel ESS90x8pro DAC so they will have to offer an interface with DSD support for it :)

Hi all,

Beaglebone Black/Green with a Botic driver can stream 4 channels of dsd256 each. There's no room for more dsd output channels (serializers) afaik, even though bandwith wise one would expect to be able to put out 8 channels of dsd128 and 16 channels of dsd64. The hardware and software just doesn't allow for more dsd output channels than 4.

It does allow for 8 channels of high res pcm, which seems the best option and it doesn't need a local usb connection which is all for the best imho. To me it's the best sounding solution also. Holographic, very detailed, full, organic etc.

HMMM yesterday i played and Multichannel sacd in my Denon DVD 3910 to my Marantz 7010 and it works fine through hdmi and the analog 7.1 sound was fine but afaik onle dsd64 any of you guys heard dsd256 live? :) the files i bought from channel classic i cant play yet only 2 chanel if i give my dvd 3910 a multichanel dsd file it dont plays it GRRRR

What size are the 5.1 256 DSD downloads for 60 minutes of music?

I think this calculation has to be wrong:

DSD256 multichannel (5.1) = 246.3MB/min =14.8GB/hr = insane?

That's a lot of bandwidth for loads of ultrasonic noise and low linearity. It would be much more efficient and practical to use PCM encoding surely?

44k1 × 256 × 5 channels = 56 Mbit/s = 7MB/s = 420 MB/minute = 25,2 GigaByte / Hour.

But I'm sure harddisk size is to no concern to anyone anymore these days. Besides: dsd256 can hardly be thought of as noisy and regarding linearity it is better than pcm, simply by nature.

Hard to edit though;-)

hmm the file i downloaded was mahlers symphony 3 its 95min and 24gb :)
indeed insane :D

hm about pcm i dont know but the dsd gurus swear that dsd256 is the bomb :D and i just want to test it hihi :D
cheers janosch

Wow. You must have good internet speed. My internet speed down here in Australia is too slow to consider that load so I hope you get the 256DSD playing and its the bomb. Looks like your surfing the leading wave of advances aiming to play 5.1 x 256 DSD.

Does DIYaudio iancanadas multichannel boards support your needs? Looks like its designed to do up to 8-channels DSD512, so looks to have you future proofed for when you do 76GB downloads of mahlers symphony 3 in 8xDSD512 :)

DocumentDownload/McFIFOManual.pdf at master * iancanada/DocumentDownload * GitHub

44k1 × 256 × 5 channels = 56 Mbit/s = 7MB/s = 420 MB/minute = 25,2 GigaByte / Hour.

But I'm sure harddisk size is to no concern to anyone anymore these days. Besides: dsd256 can hardly be thought of as noisy and regarding linearity it is better than pcm, simply by nature.

Hard to edit though;-)

Thanks for the update. Im usually out of date. I was going off Wikipedia:

Because of the nature of sigma-delta converters, one cannot make a direct comparison between DSD and PCM. An approximation is possible, though, and would place DSD in some aspects comparable to a PCM format that has a bit depth of 20 bits
Direct Stream Digital - Wikipedia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.