Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

LPS for dac
LPS for dac
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2018, 05:44 PM   #1
martin155 is offline martin155
diyAudio Member

Default LPS for dac

Hi,
which LSP do you think will be better
Linear Power supply Module regulated DC +/- LM317T / LM337 1.25V / 18V 0.5A - Audiophonics
or
Regulated linear supply Module OP TL072 MJE15034 28V - Audiophonics

For the second one I would use one of these transformers:
Transformer R-CORE 30VA 2x12V - Audiophonics
or
Transformer Toric 30VA 2x12V - Audiophonics

Is it better to use r-core or toroidal?
Old 5th December 2018, 10:05 PM   #2
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago
diyAudio Member

It's better the R-Core.
Old 5th December 2018, 10:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks and is it better the first one supply or the second one + r-core transformer?
Old 6th December 2018, 04:06 AM   #4
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

The first linear power supply you linked to already has a transformer, it is the big blue square thing with fins in the corners (actually that is a plastic cover over the transformer).

The other thing you need to know is that besides plus and minus 15 volt supplies, you will also need a 5 volt linear supply for Katana. If you choose a power supply and or a transformer to work with all three linear power rails you need, then you will have enough.

--------------------------------------------
In addition, you will need one more 5v supply for RPi and for half of the Katana Isolator. That power supply could be a 5v SMPS. Or it could be linear if you prefer.

--------------------------------------------

martin155, If I may ask, how much do you know about electronics? I sort of get the impression that maybe a lot of this is new to you? Please understand, no offense is intended by asking those questions. I'm just trying to understand what level of information you are trying to find out.

Last edited by Markw4; 6th December 2018 at 04:13 AM.
Old 6th December 2018, 06:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I am trying to find out which supply I linked has better components. I am aware that the first one has the transformer and that these are only 15V supplies. I would just like advice which one to choose.

For 5v I intended to use s://www.audiophonics.fr/en/linear-regulated-psu/regulated-linear-power-supply-board-lm317-mj15025g-dc-33v-to-33v-5a-p-12220.html with r-core transformer.

The 5v supply is ok right?
Old 6th December 2018, 06:30 AM   #6
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, the 5v regulator is fine, but it will need a transformer. That's why I am not clear on why you aren't looking for a transformer with two 15v or 18v windings, and one 5v winding. That way you only have to buy one transformer. There is no advantage to buying more transformers based on what I know so far.

As far as which one of the transformers is better that you asked about earlier, it probably doesn't matter. If anything you might want a transformer with a shield between primary and secondary to help reduce line noise capacitive coupling to the secondary.

If you read my last post in the 'ES9038Q2M board' thread, it turns out that using very modest linear power supplies and some film caps to clean up the 15v rails helps a whole lot. I wasn't that sure when I made the post, but I have listened some more, and I am very impressed with the power supply solution I used in terms of the sound quality I am now getting from Katana. You may not even need to spend as much money as you may be thinking.

Last edited by Markw4; 6th December 2018 at 06:35 AM.
Old 6th December 2018, 06:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Yes, the 5v regulator is fine, but it will need a transformer. That's why I am not clear on why you aren't looking for a transformer with two 15v or 18v windings, and one 5v winding. That way you only have to buy one transformer. There is no advantage to buying more transformers based on what I know so far.

I wanted to use more 5v supplies so I would need two windinds for 15V and 3 windings for 5v. Truth is, I am not sure about the specs of transformer. When the input to supply is 9/24AC do I need to have transformer with specific secondary circuit to be able to get 5v (or the 15 in dual rail)? Somewhere I read the transformer should have at least 1.5x voltage I need, is that right?

But you were using 4 LPS right? I wanted to have all supplies in one case but wasn't able to find such product that is why I wanted to get the power supply kits and maybe integrate the dac into a case also in the process. If I do so could there be a problem with EMC?

Last edited by martin155; 6th December 2018 at 06:56 AM.
Old 6th December 2018, 10:04 AM   #8
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@martin155

There is a thread about the second supply you linked to here: low noise Pre-Amp / DAC power supply MJE15034 TL072 Regulator based on STUDER 900
There are other variants of it on eBay.
Old 6th December 2018, 11:54 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonners View Post
@martin155

There is a thread about the second supply you linked to here: low noise Pre-Amp / DAC power supply MJE15034 TL072 Regulator based on STUDER 900
There are other variants of it on eBay.

Ok thank you very much. I will look at it. If there is somebody who could compare the two supplies I would appreciated it.
Old 7th December 2018, 03:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Can you please tell me if it is OK to use 7AC from secondary transformer circuit as an input for Regulated Linear Power Supply Board LM317 / MJ15025G DC 3.3V to 33V 5A - Audiophonics if I need 5V DC out.

And 21AC from secondary of transformer for Regulated linear supply Module OP TL072 MJE15034 28V - Audiophonics if I need 15V out?

I am just asking what AC voltage should I have on secondary of transformer in relation to DC circuits voltages (5 and 15V), thank you very much.

LPS for dacHide this!Advertise here!