Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Using DSP to emulate analog crossover?
Using DSP to emulate analog crossover?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2018, 07:59 PM   #1
preiter is offline preiter  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Using DSP to emulate analog crossover?

I'm looking to design my first analog crossover.

I'd like to emulate an analog design using a DSP crossover so that I can evaluate different designs without building them.

Is there a guide somewhere on how to do this?

How close will the response of the DSP be to the equivalent analog circuit?

I have a miniDSP, a beocreate and a DCX2496 so a tutorial using any of those platforms would be ideal.
Old 6th December 2018, 02:29 PM   #2
zbig001 is offline zbig001  Poland
diyAudio Member

Some attributes of analogue crossovers seem not reproducible in DSP, or very tedious and impractical to reproduce.

But general character of the sound from chosen crossover frequency could be reproducible.
Especially speakers directivity matching problem, audibility of sound reflections in the listening room.
Or speaker's susceptibility to overdive problem.
Old 6th December 2018, 03:39 PM   #3
NikolaG is offline NikolaG
diyAudio Member

IIR DSP x-over is the closest you get to an analog filter response - it is going to have the same frequency response and phase-shift.
Old 6th December 2018, 05:04 PM   #4
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbig001 View Post
Some attributes of analogue crossovers seem not reproducible in DSP, or very tedious and impractical to reproduce.
Huh? Like what, exactly?

The only thing that an IIR DSP filter cannot reproduce AFAIK are the faults of the actual circuitry used to implement analog active filters. A DSP filter can much more accurately and reproducibly hit the target response of any desired "analog" filter. On the other hand, when you build an actual circuit from real world components with real tolerance errors in their values, what you get can be close but not exactly what you designed in terms of corner frequency and Q, and sometimes it's not really all that close...

At one time I designed a set of versatile PCBs for implementing a wide variety of analog filters for crossover work. Then I thought "why don't I use a DSP (miniDSP at the time) to tune the crossover to what I want, and then I can implement it with my active circuit PCBs"??? As soon as I found out how easy it was to use DSP, I never went back!

DSPs have their own set of challenges and some (early ones) did not have sufficient output voltage and were a bit noisy. But this seems to be getting better and there are even options like DSP processing on a mini-computer with an outboard AD/DAC unit.
Old 6th December 2018, 06:37 PM   #5
zbig001 is offline zbig001  Poland
diyAudio Member

I have read the first post exactly as a question whether you can just recreate the complicated game of the relationship between the current and the voltage throughout the amplifier-crossover-speaker system.

And I think it would have been difficult to get the same result...
For example, you would have to take into account speaker impedance curve.
And there is also the issue of amplifier's output impedance seen by the loudspeaker.
Passive crossovers can greatly reduce amplifier's damping factor, especially near the crossover point.

Or, if the signal passes through a reactance element and a resistor connected in parallel, we would obtain something like two tracks mixed with phase shift. And various effects resulting from it.

In DSP we have only as many signal paths as there will be ways in the crossover...
And all the advantages of electrical isolation between crossover ways.

Using DSP to emulate analog crossover?Hide this!Advertise here!