Looking for recommendation for iMac 2017->USB or Thunderbolt->Ou to External sound ca

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
By the time I get done with a cheap Chinese DAC it is good for most purposes. The jitter is fixed with new clocks, clock power supplies, upsampling, etc. Everything else is fixed too. There is no way I would use one of those dacs in a stock configuration, as they sound pretty awful to me.

Of course I meant that I do mod the China DACs as well. But I had times where I was involved in making music, and my conclusion is that if I've had bought a RME interface right at the beginning it'd have saved me a lot of troubles. So its up to the thread opener, nightenlight - If you are young and serious into music, go save your money for a recognized interface (USB type). If you're sure you will never have the need to record anyting, go with something like the "HIFIME TYPE C USB DAC".

Last edited:
Actually, for making music and recording demos, people have gotten by with very little. Focurite Saffire or something like that. If one gets good enough and starts making money then some day it might get the point of deciding whether to spend on studio time or DIY. In that case, high quality studio time can't be beat. That assumes you are really ready to record and not still writing and practicing, which are things that are very expensive to do on studio time.

Maybe late to the party, but before I downsized the number and complexity of my several systems, I was quite happy with a very basic “cheap Chinese” DAC - Topping D30. Coax/Toslink and USB inputs.

Okay. People can often be happy with whatever they happen to have. Nothing wrong with that at all. How would you describe what makes you happy now in terms of a dac? Still Topping D30?

Actually not doing a lot of “serious” music only listening these days, and after decades of mid-level multi-box system tweakery have succumbed to the allure of a simple network receiver /CD player (Marantz M-CR611) in the upstairs main system, and Onkyo TX NR 818 in TV room. Ennui, perhaps that I haven’t even been bothered to research what specific chipsets are in play in these two? The Topping was very affordable - less than the sales tax on what many might consider “audiophile entry level” - and definitely represented an improvement over whatever was present in the older generation of AppleTV, iMac and two MacMinis currently “serving” tunes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.