ES9038Q2M DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You might want to wait just a little longer for Allow Katana 1.2. We will be reviewing one over in the 'ES9038Q2M board' thread maybe within the next couple of weeks. It should be pretty good, but we will have to see exactly how good. We do know they hope to have the best ES9038Q2M dac available.

Last edited:
You might want to wait just a little longer for Allow Katana 1.2. We will be reviewing one over in the 'ES9038Q2M board' thread maybe within the next couple of weeks. It should be pretty good, but we will have to see exactly how good. We do know they hope to have the best ES9038Q2M dac available.

OK thanks for the info :) ...so you think there won't even be need for additional modifications?

Modifications for Katana? No, I don't think so. Probably not practical. Take it or leave it. The only question might have to do with choice of power supplies for it.

Hi Mark,
I was wondering if you have any opinion about the Katana 1.2 already. Let's say I would like to spend about 350 Euro (max) on new / used DAC. Should I get the Katana 1.2 + isolator + 3 PSUs or should I get the Saber DAC I-ES9038Q2M in Audiophonics kit (or anything different). Katana with case, isolator and PSUs would be almost double the price compared to AUDIOPHONICS RaspDAC Mini Kit DIY so does it worth it? Where should I put the money. My setup won't be so "high end" anyway so I am not sure if I would recognized the difference even there is some (without top notch speakers and amp). Thank you in advance

Hi martin155,
A truly good dac might serve you well for a decade or more. The technology for dacs doesn't change that fast, IME. If you buy Katana with an isolator, and buy what power supplies you can afford for it now, that might be best long term investment. Maybe next year you could budget for better power supplies, or maybe the diy folks will figure out how to make something very good for pretty low cost.

On the other hand, if you buy a lesser dac it will probably always be that. Next year you may be trying to figure out how to buy a little bit better dac.

I can tell you that although I have not yet tried Katana 1.2 with the best power supplies I can muster, I believe Greg from Mississippi that with good enough power it can rival the best dacs. I know ES9038Q2M dac chip is capable of it given the right circuitry around it.

As far as Audiophonics go, can't say I have listened to one. I have looked at pictures though, and I am getting pretty good at estimating Q2M dac quality from clear, detailed pics. To me it looks like its good for the price, but not that good in an absolute sense compared to much more expensive high end dacs.

Regarding noticing the difference, that is complicated question. It partly has to do with what your brain gets used to listening to. If you want to know technically what dacs sound like aside from your power amp, you could mod a low cost Chinese LME49600 headphone amp. They can be quite detailed and good enough for evaluating front end devices.

The thing about power amps is they are also long term investments. To fully hear everything a truly good dac can do, you do need a good amplifier. But, nothing says you can't invest in a dac this year, power supplies next year, and start working on power amps after that. Long term investment in quality devices is the best advice I can give. It is a case of delayed gratification, but if you can wait to collect enough good pieces you will be very happy you did. It does mean you have to be very selective about how you buy. You can always come back around here and ask when you are ready, if that sounds like something you might want to do.

Last edited:
Hi martin155,
A truly good dac might serve you well for a decade or more. The technology for dacs doesn't change that fast, IME. If you buy Katana with an isolator, and buy what power supplies you can afford for it now, that might be best long term investment. Maybe next year you could budget for better power supplies, or maybe the diy folks will figure out how to make something very good for pretty low cost.

On the other hand, if you buy a lesser dac it will probably always be that. Next year you may be trying to figure out how to buy a little bit better dac.

I can tell you that although I have not yet tried Katana 1.2 with the best power supplies I can muster, I believe Greg from Mississippi that with good enough power it can rival the best dacs. I know ES9038Q2M dac chip is capable of it given the right circuitry around it.

As far as Audiophonics go, can't say I have listened to one. I have looked at pictures though, and I am getting pretty good at estimating Q2M dac quality from clear, detailed pics. To me it looks like its good for the price, but not that good in an absolute sense compared to much more expensive high end dacs.

Thank you Mark for quick reply. What do you think are the best PSUs for feeding Katana, Micro-Controller and RPI?
And don't you by any chance know if thete is available some Aluminium case for Katana, isolator and RIP?

Last edited:
Thank you Mark for quick reply. What do you think are the best PSUs for feeding Katana, Micro-Controller and RPI?

I don't know yet. Multiple people are working on it, is all I can say. Over the coming days I hope to try a number of variations, and I then I could tell you what I would recommend. Most of my reporting will probably be in the 'ES8938Q2M Board' thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.