Pls help with modifying DSP crossover

Hey Guys,

I have bought a £400 DBX Driverack PA 2 and I think it is very good value. DriveRack PA2 | dbx Professional Audio

The DSP section for crossovers Eq and room correction is really superb.... But the A to D and 6 channel DAC's are not great. There is no digital input, only analog, so all sound sources are compromised both on input and output.

I am looking for someone with PCB trace cutting skills so I can access the digital input and digital output and allow me to use my own high end AKM A to D and 6 channel AKM DAC's.

Can anyone help me....?!
Thanks.
Alex.

I don't need to reprogram the DSP, just access the digital input and digital output.
Re the I2S level, I am assuming it uses the same levels as other DBX digital boards so matching levels should not be an issue.

The modified unit will be paired with pro sound balanced power amps and fed from prosound analog and digital sources so noise floor should not be an issue.

Seems to me that you'll need more than just a cutter. Said candidate will need to know where to cut and how to add digital i/o in some form of enclosure. As an example, if you tap in after the onboard ADC output you will need to need to add an SPDIF receiver for the outboard ADC.

BTW, surely the DEQX pcb is repairable.

I would abandon your fantasies about some quick mod of a DSP rack crossover box and move on to computer audio. Pair a computer with a pro-audio USB recording interface with 8 analog output channels and you will have something even better. Look for one with SPDIF input(s) if you would like digital input, or you can add a separate USB unit dedicated to digital IO like the miniDSP miniStreamer or USBstreamer. If the source is already coming from the computer, then there is no need for that. You mainly need good quality D-to-A sections. But even still the A-to-D side will be better than what you've got in the Driverack unit.

Last edited:
Hi Alex-San,
I recommend Just cutting the I2S line from ADC and inserting the TI SRC4392 between them. You can use the S/PDIF Digital Input and Original ADC Analog Inputs after modification. Some I2C control requires but it's not so difficult. A small PIC uP and the source selector switch are enough for your purpose.

Attachments

• スクリーンショット 2022-04-06 21.23.57.png
    スクリーンショット 2022-04-06 21.23.57.png
    107.5 KB · Views: 61