Arcan airdac cap are the worth the replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. As the title states. I am thinking off changing the caps on the airdac. It has 3 1000uf 16v rx and 5 50v 10uf rx. So what I am asking would the change for better caps make any difference. Or just waste my time and money. If they would be a difference. What’s caps would people kindly recommend. Many thanks lee

What role do the caps play in the circuit? In what way is an electrolytic inappropriate to whatever the role is? Is non-zero ESR an advantage or disadvantage in that role? Can you physically fit a much larger film cap? Would the film caps higher stray capacitance (or possibly longer leads) be a problem?

Anyway, the general answer is that changing the cap type only provides an improvement if the original designer got it wrong or was overruled by his manager. Otherwise it will make no change or do harm.

For starters: where are you going to find 1,000uf 16V Polypropylene caps?

If such a thing even exists, which I don’t believe it does, it would certainly not fit in the case.

If it were me I’d use C0G/NP0 ceramics for lower values if available and Nichicon UES bipolar. That’s at least the closest thing to a sound approach without more information. If you’ve had it a while perhaps it will benefit from some new caps, depending on the quality of the originals.

Of course depends on the original function of said electrolytics, however without knowing this it’s the least tenuous suggestion.

Whether or not it will be audible is a discussion I’d prefer not to engage in.

However attempting to wedge a dozen PP caps in a commercial build laid out for electrolytics is asking for a giant headache / likely will cause more harm than good as DF alluded to. Been there, done that and jumped ship and swam to shore. His delivery certainly ruffles some feathers, however nothing he has suggested has ever failed me.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.