Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

AliExpress AD1865 R2R DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2018, 10:36 AM   #1
Hugh Jazz is offline Hugh Jazz  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Default AliExpress AD1865 R2R DAC

Hello all,

What do you think of this DAC?

AD1865 decoding finished board r2r decoding nos mode DAC hifi audio good-in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

EDIT. The thread almost immediately digressed into one about TDA1387 (from post 7 on) and then later into op amp in the I/V for TDA1387. There's nothing about AD1865 here. Sorry.

Last edited by jazbo8; 13th October 2018 at 04:39 AM. Reason: restore original post
Old 1st October 2018, 12:56 PM   #2
canvas is offline canvas  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Looks good though. TPS7A LDOs, AK4118 DIR all for $64 is quite amazing.
Old 1st October 2018, 01:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I thought so too. And it is not the allegedly inferior dip package, and it is current out. The current is feeble compared to other DACs I know but if the I/V is good... The only thing I see that is bad is electrolytic caps on the output. I guess a transformer is a better option?

Last edited by Hugh Jazz; 1st October 2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 1st October 2018, 01:52 PM   #4
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Grounding looks well thought-out though regs are rather distant from the ICs they power.

Here's a similar one though using TDA1387 which has promising comments on DIYA : Lusya TDA1387 dac audio decoding board (nos mode) associated with tda1541 support 24bit 192K-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Old 1st October 2018, 02:00 PM   #5
miro1360 is offline miro1360  Europe
diyAudio Member

go with AD1862
Old 1st October 2018, 02:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I'll buy this board and I'll update when it arrives. Seller doesn't have ad1862.

Last edited by Hugh Jazz; 1st October 2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:59 AM   #7
matt_garman is offline matt_garman  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the tda1387 "cousin" of that board, the one Abraxalito mentioned. I haven't spent a tremendous amount of time listening to it yet, but I've spent enough time to feel it's definitely worth $50. I posted a bunch of pics of it here, if you want to get a feel for the workmanship (which looks pretty good IMO). I'm tempted to buy that 1865 board myself...
Old 2nd October 2018, 05:52 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thank you. The photos are very good! I can see there are two grey electrolytic capacitors in the signal path after the first OP42 op amp. Both boards use this coupling capacitor and as far as I can see, this is the only issue that might degrade the sound. If it is only one component to upgrade, these DACs look like very good value and very easy to use for non technical DIYers.
Old 2nd October 2018, 04:17 PM   #9
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz View Post
Thank you. The photos are very good! I can see there are two grey electrolytic capacitors in the signal path after the first OP42 op amp. Both boards use this coupling capacitor and as far as I can see, this is the only issue that might degrade the sound. If it is only one component to upgrade, these DACs look like very good value and very easy to use for non technical DIYers.
Those 2 caps seem to be a key selling point:

7. It adopts the early Hongbao lime skin electrodeless coupling capacitor which has been discontinued for many years. The charm is very good, delicate and rich in music. There is no general sense of particle coupling in the electroless coupling, and it is very rare to couple the sound.
Old 3rd October 2018, 12:53 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well spotted. I usually ignore all that blurb and just look at the PCB and components. However, I thought capacitors age, even in storage, so an old cap is often a bad cap?

AliExpress AD1865 R2R DACHide this!Advertise here!