Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

AliExpress AD1865 R2R DAC
AliExpress AD1865 R2R DAC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2018, 11:57 AM   #121
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz View Post
Show off. It looks awesome!
Sounds great too.
Old 29th October 2018, 11:57 AM   #122
abraxalito is online now abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
What's the block diagram of?

It doesn't look the same as the CM108 diagram I have. But still, its showing the audio clocks being generated by 'PLL2' and 'PLL3' which is what I said in post #119. The crystal's jitter barely matters when there's a PLL generating those audio clocks.

Last edited by abraxalito; 29th October 2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 29th October 2018, 12:36 PM   #123
Hugh Jazz is offline Hugh Jazz  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
What's the block diagram of?

It doesn't look the same as the CM108 diagram I have. But still, its showing the audio clocks being generated by 'PLL2' and 'PLL3' which is what I said in post #119. The crystal's jitter barely matters when there's a PLL generating those audio clocks.
That's the CM108 I just grabbed from a download from Cmedia site. I think you only have to look at the arrows to understand the input clock is feeding the 3 PLLs and that this one clock is used to time the whole device. I don't understand why you think the PLLs would be immune from jitter on this clock. It's not the kind of device that can generate a clock from the incoming data alone, as some DACs can. PLL2 makes that fairly clear I think.

Last edited by Hugh Jazz; 29th October 2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 29th October 2018, 12:46 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Quote:
I think you only have to look at the arrows to understand the input clock is feeding the 3 PLLs and that this one clock is used to time the whole device.
Nope, its used as a frequency reference for the array of PLLs. It might be responsible for timing of some digital logic though, I am not sure.

Quote:
I don't understand why you think the PLLs would be immune from jitter on this clock.
I don't understand why you think I think that. Could be you're lacking some basic understanding of how PLLs operate and also have a misunderstanding of how adaptive USB works in terms of generating the timing of the audio clocks.

Because you've shown yourself to be relatively immune to being educated on some techie matters on this very thread (presumably because you don't much like the look of big dicks?) I'm right now unclear whether its worthwhile to set things out for you. Let's start with a question - does the concept of oscillator Q have any resonance with you?
Old 29th October 2018, 03:12 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Nope, its used as a frequency reference for the array of PLLs.

You're right. My bad. And it won't sound any better if the reference has lower jitter. Of course not. Crazy ignorant me. ;-)
Old 29th October 2018, 03:24 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

There's none so ignorant as he who choses not to see
Old 30th October 2018, 12:48 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't understand why you think I think that. Could be you're lacking some basic understanding of how PLLs operate and also have a misunderstanding of how adaptive USB works in terms of generating the timing of the audio clocks.

Because you've shown yourself to be relatively immune to being educated on some techie matters on this very thread (presumably because you don't much like the look of big dicks?) I'm right now unclear whether its worthwhile to set things out for you. Let's start with a question - does the concept of oscillator Q have any resonance with you?
In the theory vs experience discussions that play out on this site, the above is another example of a post intended to patronise someone in order to dismiss/denigrate/etc their tested experience. It's especially sad in this case because Abraxalito previously stated he doesn't do this.

Unfortunately, replacing the xtal with an xo to improve a PLL is something that has been done before with CMedia gear, and there is evidence it works. RMAA results and pictures of the improved scope trace were posted here on Diyaudio about 6 years ago. I found it and could re-post it in this thread but I'm going to leave that as an "exercise for the reader". It isn't great evidence but at least there's some. I also found a lot of this on Head-Fi where people have done this with a wide range of devices.

So, no easy link for ya, as part of my love of the X-Files, I'm just going to say the truth is out there. You have to want to find it.

Also, having been listening and testing DACs for a while now, I've decided on 4x ES9038q2m for the Minidsp project. $ for $ it is by far the best quality sound on the market today imo.

Last edited by Hugh Jazz; 30th October 2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old 30th October 2018, 01:13 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In the theory vs experience discussions that play out on this site, the above is another example of a post intended to patronise someone in order to dismiss/denigrate/etc their tested experience. It's especially sad in this case because Abraxalito previously stated he doesn't do this.
So you're saying I intended to patronize you and dismiss your experience with this post? Where's the evidence please?

In an earlier version of this post (which I received through the email notification system) you'd asked me a question. The question contained your perception of what I think about XO replacement. My answer to that question is 'no' which is the opposite to what you perceived as my position. With your perception as 'yes' its easy to see why you consider what you quoted as dismissive and patronizing.

Quote:
Unfortunately, replacing the xtal with an xo to improve a PLL is something that has been done before with CMedia gear, and there is evidence it works.
Which particular CMedia chip was that? CMedia make a variety of ICs for USB interface and not all operate in the adaptive mode for USB audio.

Quote:
So, no easy link for ya, as part of my love of the X-Files, I'm just going to say the truth is out there. You have to want to find it.
Yeah I love X files too. Like 'trust no-one'
Old 30th October 2018, 01:21 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

Moving on. Bye.
Old 31st October 2018, 11:02 PM   #130
rickmcinnis is offline rickmcinnis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Yeah I love X files too. Like 'trust no-one'
When I hear that phrase I think of Herod Agrippa in I, CLAUDIUS.

It may not be "nice" but it certainly is good advice while living on Earth.

The BBC series is a great example in how good a production can be when you don't throw money at it for no good reason.

AliExpress AD1865 R2R DACHide this!Advertise here!