DCX2496 upgrade problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I managed to fix it by changing computers and doing a full reset from the new computer. There was a problem with the cable going from USB to serial.

I still have the Driverack 260 but not for much longer. I can't hear any audible difference between the two and I can sell the Driverack for more much more than the the DCX cost. The Driverack is better built and has more computing power, but the DCX has a couple of handy tricks for those of us who have dipoles, notably the dynamic limiters and the ability to overlay shelving filters.

Cheers

Steve

Steve, doesn't the DCX lack the RTA feature of the 260? If I was setting up dipoles for the first time wouldn't I need this function?

I was just about to order a 260 from NS&L but now I'm really scratching my head---there seems to be so many _mixed_ reviews on the Behringer---but I naturally want to trust your judgement on these two units as you've obviously put both to the test. Guess I'll decide which one to go with once I'm closer to actually getting the speakers built. Perhaps with the TC2+ woofers I could get away without the limiters of the DCX--I doubt I'll be running my speakers near full throttle anyway so...(very small listening room).

Perhaps somewhere further down the line you could post more of your observations---and with a comparison between the DCX/DBX with regards to dipole usage--that would undoubtedly enlighten a lot of us out here that are sort of stumbling along flying by the seat of our pants (as I am, obviously):xeye:

Glad your dcx is back up and running at any rate. Keep up the great work (will there be further versions of Bob?)!

Thanks, Jeff

Point taken, Goldenboy. I was a bit surprised to learn that Steve had switched from using the 260 (which he had once recommended highly to me) to the Behringer DCX. So now I am having a rethink/wondering about which one to choose. I've tried downloading the manual on the DCX a couple of times to no avail (some error always occurs halfway through) but will try again and again. I don't think the DCX has a built-in RTA like the 260 does so I want to make sure beforehand. Perhaps I am mistaken or the DCX has this function afterall?

The bottom line is that I do trust Steve's opinion more than the rest---and since I am building a system based on his to a very large degree I will probably go with the Behringer.

Jeff

The DCX doesn't have a built in RTA so you'll need 3rd party measuring software plus a mic and preamp. But the result will probably be better as you can manually set your filters without depending on the automatic EQ function, which will tend to give you a too-bright tone balance. For under $200 you should be able to get a decent setup.

Or, if you prefer a non-computer solution, the Behringer DEQ includes an RTA. You can buy a DCX and a DEQ for less than the price of a Driverack.

I'd still recommend the Driverack 260 highly. It is better built than the DCX, is more flexible in the way you can use the paramteric EQs, has a greater range of adjustment possible with the parametric EQs, has the RTA, and the ability to adjust the the input levels via anlog means.

However it doesn't, to my ears, sound any better than the DCX when the DCX is being used properly. I didn't use the RTA on the 260 because I did my own measurements and adjustments using ETF, and the DCX has a couple of features (overlaying shelving filters and dynamic filters) that are quite handy for my specific dipole use. As far as the RTA goes, you could add the DEQ 2496 to the DCX and get even more flexibility.

As a piece of gear, the Driverack is more confidence inspiring and powerful, but if you don't need some of its more advanced features it is hard to go past the fact that the DCX cost less than half.

Cheers

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.