DSP - Triode response

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I wonder if some of you tried to experiment some DSP "Triode response" processing. I have a Full Digital System, and wondered how the include some realistic tube harmonics to add a bit of warmth to my sometime too clean/clinical setup.

I saw several paper on Wave Digital Filtering and proposed models. This seems to me complex but looks like the way. I however do not know if it is something possible to implement in our audio chain (I use MPD => USB => Stm32F7 doing DSP => Spdif => FX-Audio D802 => LX-Mini)

Would also be ready to consider offline preparation of files for experiments.

I would be very happy to learn about experiments in this domain. Next alternative could be a Pass B1 Korg triode buffer, but it does not fits so easily in my system.

Best regards,
JMF

Triodes does not sound good due to some "added distortion".
The added distortion is a byproduct of a system optimized to reproduce music instead of sinusoidal waveforms.
Music is mostly complex nonlinear waveforms, and this is why a high feedback low distortion system sounds dull and lifeless. The bandwidth limited "low THD" system can not reproduce fast transients.

No amount of added distortion can alter this fact. You need to optimize the system to reproduce real world complex nonliear waveforms.

If you do a FFT analysis of a drum strike you can see that the sharp transient contains signals up into the megahertz range.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Haha Circlo, im not sure if this isnt wishful thinking :)

@JMF: I tried it with HoRNet Harmonics VST Plugin on a DAW. Pretty neat.

Important to notice that Triodes also do other nice flaws rather provoked by hi output impedance of transformers and consequently lower feedback. You can get that even easier by plugin some resistors in series with your speaker. The resistor will dampen the feedback similar, and also bend your magnitude similar. Start with 1 Ohm and see if you like the result. This may reduce distortion and increase decay on a tiny micro scale.

Theres more but that gets too subtle.

cheers
Josh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.