ES9038Q2M Production

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have compared V5 to the opa1612 and Burson V5 is much-much better.

What to you mean Burson V5 is better? Do you mean you liked it better for the stock, one opamp voltage output stage? Or, do you mean for the three opamp current output stage we now use and also for the AVCC board? If you mean the latter, do you mean you purchased a total of 4 Burson V5 opamps and compared them against 4 OPA1612?

Remove the old clock with this:Fast and Quik SMT Chip Removal Alloy Kit: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific It will fall right off once you get a nice big ball of this alloy on each of the 4 pins.

Clean up the pads of all old solder with this, but get in and out don't overcook them:
Chemtronics Desoldering Braid, Chem-Wik, Rosin, 10-50L 0.10", 50ft. - Solder Braid - Amazon.com

Clean off flux with this:
MG Chemicals 824-1L 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol Liquid Cleaner, Clear, 945 mL (1 US Quart): Soldering Tip Cleaners: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Also use this:
Acid/Flux Brush, Tin Ferrule, Horsehair, 5-3/4" Length, 5/16" Width (pack of 30 pieces): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Then clear a little bit of the ground plane away around the pads with this:
Amazon.com : X-ACTO #2 Knife With Safety Cap : Exacto Knife : Office Products

Now solder down the new clock, or skip the trimming with the Exacto knife and use some short wire leads to mount the clock just above the pads. Once you verify it works you could put a little of this under the clock to keep is in place:Clear Electronic Grade Silicone - 2.8 oz Squeeze Tube: Silicone Adhesives: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I will leave it to Serge to post pictures.

Oh, one other thing, before you do any of that get one of these and use it:
https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-...D=51T1%2BlbNczL&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

See here how to do it:
YouTube

Serge can make a new video, post pics, or tell folks to watch at the links... :)

Hi, I just changed the clock using your tutorial.
Everything went well and it was not so difficult.
My soldering is not perfect but it worked.
Thank you Mark & Serge!

Attachments

• IMG-4126.jpg
    IMG-4126.jpg
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 817
  • IMG-4125.jpg
    IMG-4125.jpg
    990 KB · Views: 806
I was simply referring to Sergelisses’s post #16: ES9038Q2M Production. He kept the original voltage output mode, but advised using much better opa-s than yours. Since there is a night and day difference in between opa’s, in voltage mode, and your I-V needs 3 opa’s, I decided to do all the necessary upgrades, but keep the voltage output mode as well as Sergelisses. So I have a modded board at the moment: LT ref based 3.3 V AVCC, ADM7150 powered Crystek clock, a number of Salas and superreg supplies, isolated power supply for MCU, etc... Also, his setup is promising, since he is using good quality R-core transformers, which are superior to toroids in DAC applications.

What to you mean Burson V5 is better? Do you mean you liked it better for the stock, one opamp voltage output stage? Or, do you mean for the three opamp current output stage we now use and also for the AVCC board? If you mean the latter, do you mean you purchased a total of 4 Burson V5 opamps and compared them against 4 OPA1612?

Attachments

• dual clock.jpg
    dual clock.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:
I was simply referring to Sergelisses’s post #16: ES9038Q2M Production. He kept the original voltage output mode, but advised using much better opa-s than yours. Since there is a night and day difference in between opa’s, in voltage mode, and your I-V needs 3 opa’s, I decided to do all the necessary upgrades, but keep the voltage output mode as well as Sergelisses. So I have a modded board at the moment: LT ref based 3.3 V AVCC, ADM7150 powered Crystek clock, a number of Salas and superreg supplies, isolated power supply for MCU, etc... Also, his setup is promising, since he is using good quality R-core transformers, which are superior to toroids in DAC applications.

Hi Janos,
Would you post pictures of your setup.
It is always inspiring.
Thank you

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.