Dayton Audio DSP-408

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mulitple ADCs, multiple DACs, and DSP, all for $150? Depends on what kind of sound quality one finds satisfactory, it would seem. Can't do any of those things very well at that price, IMHO.

It does indeed seem to be in the 'too good to be true' area, and that was thinking it as a $250 device (which is what Dayton have as list).

And the manual and 'tech specs' completely fails to discuss the sampling rates, S/N etc.

Still, I wonder how bad it has to be before its not a fun toy for $150.

I do wish there was something like this for $500, even if the configuration is some godawful XML or JSON and I have to write a GUI. Plenty of pricey options.

(Ideally, something like this with 2 in 6 out and VCO-controlled outputs with a volume control knob)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I do wish there was something like this for $500, even if the configuration is some godawful XML or JSON and I have to write a GUI. Plenty of pricey options.

Check the MiniDSP line. many of those also have digital I/O for those who do not believe a Sub £3000 DAC can sound any good! I have a 4x10HD and I am very happy with it.

And don't fear low cost. If a manufacturer makes tens of thousands of something the R&D cost is spread thin. Boutique audio R&D is second only to marketing in final product cost.

Yes Mark..it's the implementation, not the component cost. Analogue chips are also very cheap...as are resisters and capacitors (pence bought in this volume).

But I would be interested in a technical review, but frankly little hope of that as we live in a world of user "You Tube reviews/ ill informed opinions" and subjectivism for many decades. But my guess, given the box it is in and the complete lack of knobs/displays/etc, plus Dayton's reputation as a company...it has every chance of being pretty good!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.