Moonshadow XMOS DAC - No I2S Output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Does anyone have one of these boards working?

XMOS数字界面板,CPLD波形重整技术-月影科技

They are popular on aliexpress.

I'm using Linux, so no drivers required, and I'm feeding the I2S lines into a ES9028Q2M board which I've verified is working correctly.

And... no output.

Did a quick test of the output pins and have:

Data 3.28v
BCK 1.64v
LRCK 1.64v
MCK 1.64v

Which appears to be correct. A bit stumped. :confused:

Aliexpress seller was helpful until the protection ran out, which I didn't catch, then unsurprisingly silent.

Regards,

Andrew

Not familiar with Linux, so first things first, are you sure your USB (?) source is 'talking' to the PCB?

Are they talking the same Language? i2S can have a few 'dialects' ! Left Justified etc etc.

Have you a 'scope? Can you actually see some Data and Clocks on the i2S Lines? Those are just DC Voltages you quote which could be there when powered even with no Signal.

Cheers,

P.

Hi, I used a PCM2704 based converter to ensure the DAC (a ES9028Q2M) is working, so the issue is with the XMOS USB-I2S.

For the XMOS, it's recognised fine. I've tested on Linux and Windows with same result so don't think it's a driver issue.

I note the 1.64V lines are the same as the output of the PCM2704 (1.64V is probably the digital on/off averaged by the multimeter). Whether they're talking the same I2S "variant" I'm unsure, but I'd like to hope so. :)

I don't have a scope but I do have a data recorder good for 20MHz. If I2S lines are less than this I can try capturing. Worth a shot!

Pictures

Pictures attached

Attachments

• lrck.png
    lrck.png
    18 KB · Views: 195
  • data.png
    data.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 193
  • bck.png
    bck.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 192
Statements like this simply serve to confuse the issue. There are no dialects. There is I2S replete with its own terminology and there are other serial audio interface formats.

I apologise.

So, how about, instead of just telling me I am wrong, this being an amateur Forum, mostly, why not pass on some of your knowledge and educate us on the different serial data formats.
What, for instance is precisely meant by Left Justified and if a DAC or Receiver IC is set to receive i2S, why will it not work when fed with Left Justified Data.

That might help the OP in finding out why they have no sound.

Cheers,

P.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.