Cambridge Audio 851 Series Upsampling DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks

I picked up one of these Cambridge Audio DAC boards dirt cheap, it's the main board found in all the 851 series products and contains a PSU, DAC and output stage:

attachment.php

Here is one in an Azur 851C:

attachment.php

Because I'm just wanting to use it as a DAC, all the other circuit boards can be ignored as they are the servo/preamp circuitry and digital outputs. The only part I need to get my board working is the small power board, sadly the only supplier on ebay wants 70 ukp for one, so I'll have to build my own alternative:

attachment.php

It looks a rather simple thing to me, I can see it has an EMI filter but I'm not sure what the other circuitry is for, I don't think it's a rectifier as the output from the transformer connects to a header on the main board.

I can't find schematics for either board, so it's all a bit of a guessing game right now, so any tips, adivce or suggestions are much appreciated.

Attachments

• 05.-851c-internal-1353577337.jpg
    05.-851c-internal-1353577337.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 1,109
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 814
  • Cambridge-Audio-Azur-851C-Dac-Board-24-Bit-384khz.jpg
    Cambridge-Audio-Azur-851C-Dac-Board-24-Bit-384khz.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 1,021
Last edited:
I have limited experience with Cambridge Audio though I have modified their CD players from the 640 series to the 840 series players. Cambridge is consistent in their designs between models and when they make changes, it is not dramatic. Please remember that my experience is limited when I make this suggestion: find a schematic for the 840cd player (available on line) and use that as a basis for your design mods for the 851. It will be incomplete but it will give you an idea of how to proceed. You won't get to see a schematic for the 851c until it is a few years out of production.

Hi,
How are you coming along with your DAC project? I still have my 851c and after a number of mods, I am very happy with it. However, the IR sensor on the front board failed and in the process of replacing it, I lost it. Now I have no way of determining its characteristics. Is there any way that you could test your IR sensor on your board for me? Specifically, I need to know if it is a positive or negative sensor; I assume the the it is a 5v. Thanks in advance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.