lingDAC - cost effective RBCD multibit DAC design

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
That you changed yours about caps and x7r i told you these same months ago and what I told you. Well for the B where you live there a little amount of humans in the street...take the mask or ask your coocking employee...
Maybe the first bias is not to be open to orhers and stay stupborn...aka one man show syndrom indeed...alsoknown as the prof. Syndrome. When the student say a good things. The bad prof refers to the authority of the school to shut him off...same with delator btw that will recognize himself a post above or two...when one has no talents but Peroquet papagaillo.
Good prof stay open anddon t stay in the one man show control...or it s not a forum it s vendor thread with marketing.
Don t get me wrong with your usual dialectic. I just answer cause you ask and i find extra ordinary you changed your mind via wifey...drole...but good...not only the board progress...I eventually said to you that s a good thing but I notice you want to stay in I m the only one to know... how stupid it is if itis not coming from me...drole...

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Make the changes. Mix several boards...3. and take people in the music school of your block. Ask wife who don t know the pcb changed and the former and the second former to see public concistency answers. Wife conducts the test...at this moment she is blind...she don t know also the third is a sort of placebo or better said: same cure as the first former pcb. You re not in the test you will analyse the results only. Clearer i hope.

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hey Abrax: youfinally listen to the advices about avoiding ceramic claa 2... great. Ask wifey to try pps 0808 smd caps from panasonic rubycon or cornel dublier.
TNT...stop to measure too much: it is not an engineering curse to students...be confident with you ears.

I have told you before - listening is not the path to success. Believe me. I know you want it to be an "art" - but to really get there, you need to have a scientific approach - that I'm absolutely certain off. But hey - good luck with your approach by all means.

//

I have told you before - listening is not the path to success. Believe me.

I can't see any reason to believe you from where I'm standing. But its possible we have different meanings of 'success' which could reconcile our otherwise conflicting views. Listening alone isn't the path to success (as I understand success) but it is an essential aspect. Mere technical excellence is at worst a complete diversion and at best a sub-optimal approach.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Who talk about art? Science is about testing and concistency in the results then to writes paradigms...until new approach of testings and theories to test... Tests eventually evolves. Things had to be testes or it s not about paradigm but sealed theory aka religion...art if you prefer but this last word is not acurate for this.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Abrax . Stop withyour two cents dialectic in orderto escalate...I just given you a tip you said it was stupid sort of...without testing. Stupborn attitude but free to you not to test. I just found good to see some evolution.

Am i ever given you technical lessons...how I could.
Ah it s only a place for professionals now. Not enthusiasts..
Here is my first technical lesson: you wrong with your methodoligical approach and even didn t see it was an input to explain this to you. Stupborn is not scientifical... Some did the same and some massive inputs of many contributors made evolved a r2r dac: even non pro but enthusiasts and the first ones where about caps and decoupling...the designer had a little uour attitude: the layout was good from the beginning for him but it wasn t after listening test many noticed...which is all the targett to have a good sound.
So i m wrong and it s just your half part that found something by playing with x7r...still a sealed labotory...not my fault i modestly tried.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
At last I assembled my PhiDAC kit, connected the USB to I2S module to it and now I exercise the conductors free electrons, the insulators molecules, the semiconductors charge carriers and the surrounding aether’s energy streams with music from the PC.

George

So many ceramic caps in the signal path and John Mayall' voice on stage is still discernible to me :scratch2:

Attachments

• DSCN5540.JPG
    DSCN5540.JPG
    692.1 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCN5542.JPG
    DSCN5542.JPG
    645 KB · Views: 310
So many ceramic caps in the signal path and John Mayall' voice on stage is still discernible to me :scratch2:

Wires between the USB board and the dac board are pretty long, and not even signal wires loosely twisted with individual dedicated ground wires. Not ideal.

Better clocks should help reproduction quality. JL sounds makes a very good one which is called I2SoverUSB. Many people say it is the best sounding USB board they have tried. Clocks are NDK SDA, and the board is galvanically isolated from USB power and ground. I2SoverUSB - I2S over USB Audio

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
JL sounds makes a very good one which is called I2SoverUSB. Many people say it is the best sounding USB board they have tried. Clocks are NDK SDA, and the board is galvanically isolated from USB power and ground. I2SoverUSB - I2S over USB Audio
Thanks Mark for the info.
I guess USB to I2S devices need their own thread (recommendation, testing and evaluation)

MiniDSP makes one if I'm not wrong but not sure abot the quality good enough vs goods USBtoI2S boards.... !
Iggy I have this one https://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/miniSTREAMER Manual.pdf
Later on (much latter) I will connect this one too to the PhiDAC.

Wires between the USB board and the dac board are pretty long, and not even signal wires loosely twisted with individual dedicated ground wires. Not ideal.
Not yet there Mark (it was the first breadboarding to see if USB to I2S + DAC + filter work together at all) but thanks.
You mean each of the three I2S wires twisted together with one ground wire?

Nice work @gpapag. Now is a time to tweak, it is DIY project anyway. :)
yw sajunky. If I can hand solder all those SMD parts and the DAC works afterwards, everyone can!
Tweak time ahead (after building a PSU, assembling Abraxalito’s SE headphone amplifier and arranging for housing them in some ugly enclosure)

George

You mean each of the three I2S wires twisted together with one ground wire?

Actually, I find that very light twisting suffices nicely, and may actually be preferable. An alternative approach is to use ribbon cable with every other wire a ground wire, and ground wires at both outside edges.

Regarding your comment on a thread for USB board measurements, very few people are properly equipped to measure phase noise which is what we really want to know about for random clock jitter. About $30k and up for the test equipment.

J-test on the other hand works for measuring stationary deterministic jitter, such as from AC line harmonics. The test was invented for measuring SPDIF interface jitter. However for random clock jitter, phase noise better accounts for the for the characteristics audible to humans, and that most affect sound quality of audio dacs.

Given the expense of proper phase noise measurement of clocks (expense either to buy the test gear, or to pay someone who has it do do measurements for you), IMHO skilled listening with the same ultra low distortion dac every time (for consistency) can go a long way for judging clock quality. However, there are some caveats to be aware of if interested in using that method, perhaps something for discussion another time.

Last edited: