Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Plug-in replacement for TDA1541, using 4x TDA1387
Plug-in replacement for TDA1541, using 4x TDA1387
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2018, 05:56 PM   #1
hollowman is offline hollowman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Plug-in replacement for TDA1541, using 4x TDA1387

This eBay module was mentioned on another forum...

4X TDA1387 Parallel Transfer Board Audiophile HIFI DIY sound close to TDA1541 | eBay

It's a plug-in replacement for TDA1541, using 4x TDA1387 dacs.
Will it work as a "drop-in" (i.e., no further mods necessary)? I thought a TDA1541 needed an I/V stage requiring (+) and (-) power rails. To the best of my knowledge, the 1387 requires just a (+) rail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tda1387--s-l500.jpg (34.0 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg tda1387--s-l1600.jpg (98.7 KB, 223 views)
Old 27th June 2018, 06:23 PM   #2
lcsaszar is offline lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
I thought a TDA1541 needed an I/V stage requiring (+) and (-) power rails. To the best of my knowledge, the 1387 requires just a (+) rail.
Both are current output DACs. The I/V stage can be the same for both (an inverting operational amplifier, a transformer, or a single resistor), it is external.
Old 27th June 2018, 06:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default But......

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsaszar View Post
Both are current output DACs. The I/V stage can be the same for both (an inverting operational amplifier, a transformer, or a single resistor), it is external.
Hmmm ... I could not get this I/V (designed for TDA1543, 1545A and TDA1387A) to work with my TDA1541...Help me adapt this I/V stage for TDA1541 !!
Not w/o modifications suggested in that thread.
However, I have not tried it the other way around -- what the eBay module seems to be "designed" for.

In any case, the orig query remains open:
As implied by the eBay seller, will simply dropping in the 1541-to-4x-1387 module, into a 28-pin 1541 socket of a device (CDP, DAC), supply one with clean, clear music?
In other words: is the eBay module truly Plug-n-Play?
Old 27th June 2018, 07:01 PM   #4
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The module is a drop-in replacement for a TDA1541A.

I have used it to replace a TDA1541A S1 in my Revox B226.

I found greater transparency and better bass.

There are also available 8x TDA1387 modules available for not much more money.
I have some but have yet to try them.

Andy
Old 28th June 2018, 12:59 AM   #5
weissi is offline weissi  Austria
diyAudio Member

On the PCB check the connection of pin 27, it must be connected to pin28, otherwise it will not work.
Old 28th June 2018, 02:44 AM   #6
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Continous Calibration does this mean that it’s similar in concept to Delta Sigma ?
Smart guy to produce a plug in board, so -5v & 15v is NC.
Old 28th June 2018, 04:11 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default IEEE paper

About the 4x1387 module ... For ~$10USD delivered, that's a pretty attractive offer for a complete module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotan View Post
Continous Calibration does this mean that it’s similar in concept to Delta Sigma ?
No. The 1387 is multibit architecture -- old school goodness.

For more tech. details on CC, you can find the Philips 1989 IEEE paper for free here: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/94f...87d710800f.pdf
Or, you can purchase it here, direct from IEEE: A self-calibration technique for monolithic high-resolution D/A converters - IEEE Journals & Magazine

Quote:
Abstract:
A self-calibration technique based upon charge storage on the gate-source capacitance of CMOS transistors is presented. The technique can produce multiple copies of a reference current. Therefore, it is suitable for the calibration of high-resolution D/A (digital/analog) converters which are based upon equal current sources. As the storage capacitor is internal, no external components are required. A calibrated spare current source is used to allow continuous converter operation. This implies that no special calibration cycles are required. To show the capabilities of the calibration technique, it was implemented in a 16-b D/A converter. Measurement results show a total harmonic distortion of 0.0025% at a power consumption of 20 mW and a minimum supply voltage of 3 V. The design was fabricated in a 1.6- mu m double-metal CMOS process without special options.<>
Published in: IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits ( Volume: 24, Issue: 6, Dec 1989 )

Last edited by hollowman; 28th June 2018 at 04:13 AM.
Old 28th June 2018, 04:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Aaaah many thanks for the explanation Hollowman. Looks like we got to get Albrexlito over to this thread. He’s the expert on this chip set.
Old 28th June 2018, 05:34 AM   #9
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
My ears are burning...

@sumotan - Continuous calibration is a hardware DEM. SD dacs do this in 'software' in the sense that they don't fix the problem they just disguise it as noise.

Last edited by abraxalito; 28th June 2018 at 05:37 AM.
Old 28th June 2018, 06:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Nice of you to drop by. Lol . Im always for R2R dac especially those like Philips which can connect direct via I2S. To me spidf is pure evil.

Plug-in replacement for TDA1541, using 4x TDA1387Hide this!Advertise here!