Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Moving from 9038Q2M to a 9028Pro board
Moving from 9038Q2M to a 9028Pro board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2018, 09:23 PM   #21
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Got it. Vref divider.
Old 20th June 2018, 09:23 PM   #22
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

The ones I have here are Elna RJH, are burgundy like those.
Are they labeled Silmic II?
My (4495)board follows the same basic layout has other similarities as far as parts, was assuming they were the same burgundy Elnas on both...

I have not yet seen burgundy silmic before.

Last edited by phase; 20th June 2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 20th June 2018, 09:32 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

There are lots of posts on the internet and here at diyaudio about fake caps, especially Silimic II.
Elna Silmic II original or copy, and how does it look inside?

Last edited by Markw4; 20th June 2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 20th June 2018, 09:48 PM   #24
Mikett is offline Mikett  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase View Post
The ones I have here are Elna RJH, are burgundy like those.
Are they labeled Silmic II?
My (4495)board follows the same basic layout has other similarities as far as parts, was assuming they were the same burgundy Elnas on both...

I have not yet seen burgundy silmic before.
Says silmicII
Old 20th June 2018, 09:58 PM   #25
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I am getting to where I just blindly remove and replace nearly all electrolytic capacitors, to start with on anything from eBay.
Went to look up a cap on a data sheet recently and discovered that that part didnít exist in that configuration!

How does it sound so far?
Old 20th June 2018, 10:04 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Is that a mulit-layer board for sure? Maybe so, but they usually try hard not to. You can see some traces under the solder mask when a picture is highlighted a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Traces.jpg (568.5 KB, 222 views)
Old 21st June 2018, 03:51 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Judging by the traces and where they lead to, it has to be because there are points where there are no vias that are visible at all. So unless I am blind and I used a magnifier to check and found the soldering that initially I thought was an error immediately as a result. I think it is at least a 3 layer board. I also looked for raised traces as well.

As for the sound I already commented on that. Further listening this evening to acclimatize myself to the sound before mods reveals it actually sounds pretty nice as is. It has all the cues I am looking for right now, low frequency extension, purity of voice and yeah, the cymbals thingie sounds not bad at all. About that imaging thing....once I realized that one of my speakers was not toed in at the correct angle, that speaker adjustment fixed it up. My reference would go back to a very old DAC which is not relevant anymore though it was in its day well regarded. So I cannot comment as a comparison.

So as a stock unit for $140 or so that you just hook up transformers and you're ready to play I'd say it represents better value if you are able to put out a little more money.
That $140 includes, a display, remote control and "upgraded" clock as well. Yeah, we know it is not the best clock but it is a better clock than some other DACs.

The other thing is that I plan to make a Balanced to Single ended Tube based converter to periodically get that tube sound when I want. So those Balanced Outputs will come in handy. Hope it all goes well.

I have a case that I believe I can fit all the added Power supplies into it and I will mount the transformers remotely.

I have the schematic for it but when it was sent I was asked not to reveal it in public.

The board I believe is the same as in the thread ES9038Q2M Board

The power supplies and layout look identical.
Old 21st June 2018, 04:25 AM   #28
wushuliu is offline wushuliu  United States
diyAudio Member

don't be afraid to adjust the avcc. Twisted Pear has theirs at 3.6v. I have done 3.2 to 3.55v.
Old 21st June 2018, 11:58 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
don't be afraid to adjust the avcc. Twisted Pear has theirs at 3.6v. I have done 3.2 to 3.55v.
On my 9038q2m, I attempted 12V for a split second and it proved that the DAC runs on smoke because when it was let out, it would not work anymore
Old 21st June 2018, 12:19 PM   #30
Sergelisses is offline Sergelisses  France
diyAudio Member

Hello Mike

Do you plan to power directly the TCXO ?
It's very easy to do it ,there is a self near the TCXO
Remove it an connect a 3.3v LDO.

It seems for me that there is a significative sound improvment.

Serge

Moving from 9038Q2M to a 9028Pro boardHide this!Advertise here!