I want to start with "liquid music" but i don't know how and where to start

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello I want to start with "liquid music" but i don't know how and where to start with DIY.
I'm quite confused.

Purpose is to get rid of phisical CDROMs, and I wish to create a DIY audiphile DAC, with low jitter clock. I could even replicate the PCM-1710 of my NAD 525 cd player and use my current mod I/V opamp filter with dedicated low noise power supply.

Hence, source should be 99% "flac 16/44" files (preferably in solid HDD, thus no noise at all) to be transferred from my PC at occurrence with usb pen or flash memory card or wifi.

I would like to have a friendly LCD interface to create directories, select files, transfer music from flash to HDD, repeat music and repeat directory, delete traces, go forward, stop, pause.

I would like to have also a remote controller.

I know I can build everything with a Raspberry pi 3 -> i2s to minidsp minisharc -> i2s Pair of MiniDSP Curryman DAC etc.. etc.. or something similar..

but may be the best for me could be to purchase the file management system source (a multimedia HDD) and build from scratch a separate homemade high end resolution DAC (connected by optical output is the best?).

Can you please give me a clear direction? Of course the new FLAC system must sound much better than my existing cd player with physical CDroms.... I don't mind to have two separate machines, but aesthetic should be good, minimising wirings and be solid and the interface has to be very user friendly...

Thanks!
Regards

I have another general question: if my sources are all "flac 16/44" is it worth to upgrade to a 24/96 system or even higher?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
^ Agreed. Unless that CD player was a real dog, a media server won't sound any different, it's exactly the same content - exactly. The DAC and its following circuits might sound different. Ditto on FLAC, keep your rips in their original 16/44 format.

Welcome to the world of computer audio! :)

Indeed Ken, I still haven't found justification for the added complexity of a digital filter in my DAC designs though I have been looking long and hard. As regards NOS I have found that an analog filter between DAC and I/V stage makes a significant improvement subjectively (objectively too if you're in the habit of observing DAC output waveforms on your 'scope).

Hi, Richard,

I suppose that I've come full circle on the OS versus NOS question. Long ago, I experimented with an AD1865 based DAC having on-the-fly switchable OS/NOS modes. I loved the fatigue-free quality of NOS, but also heard some desirable qualities from the OS mode. I then set out on a quest to see if I could obtain NOS's lack of fatigue, but via OS.

As you may recall, I've since been experimenting with OS via an PCM1794A based DAC. However, despite the many subjective benefits the PCM1794A, I haven't been able to fully remove the long-term fatiguing quality of OS - and lord knows I've tried. I've now concluded that I don't want to sacrifice the fatigue-free character of NOS, even if it proves out that I must sacrifice other subjective performance qualities to obtain that.

So, my next DAC will be an NOS design featuring a steep slope passive reconstruction filter. I'm hoping that it will deliver the fatigue-free playback of NOS with a bit more of the dynamic character I hear via OS.

but may be the best for me could be to purchase the file management system source (a multimedia HDD) and build from scratch a separate homemade high end resolution DAC (connected by optical output is the best?).

Judging by your avatar, you are into valves. If you are interested in using valves for converting digital signals to analogue, you might find these threads interesting:

Valve DAC from Linear Audio volume 13

Interest for GB for MarcelvdG valve DAC

Mind you, the design is expensive and doesn't have nearly as huge a dynamic range as most solid-state DACs have. On the other hand, it doesn't have the intersample clipping issues that almost all oversampling solid-state DACs have and it features an anti-imaging filter that really suppresses images from the Nyquist frequency onwards.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
^ Agreed. Unless that CD player was a real dog, a media server won't sound any different, it's exactly the same content - exactly. The DAC and its following circuits might sound different. Ditto on FLAC, keep your rips in their original 16/44 format.

Welcome to the world of computer audio! :)

Data is equal - yes. Timing and electric "pollution" may however differ and this may, or may not, effect the end sound depending on the DAC architecture.

//

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.