Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Amateur Soekris 1021
Amateur Soekris 1021
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2018, 09:44 PM   #11
randytsuch is offline randytsuch
diyAudio Member

My guess is that since Amanero made his firmware available for uploading so you can load the latest, his IP was stolen and is in those ebay boards.

I don't know if any of the links posted are actually Amanero boards, but they may well work and act like one.

This is all supposition on my part, but since the boards still sell for $100 on the Amanero site, it doesn't make sense to allow a $37 chinese version.

Randy
Old 4th May 2018, 10:01 PM   #12
wcwc is offline wcwc  United States
diyAudio Member

Amanero Technologies

Doesn't make any sense to pay more than you can get it direct.
Old 4th May 2018, 10:20 PM   #13
randytsuch is offline randytsuch
diyAudio Member

I didn't realize Amanero actually has a page of authorized resellers
resellers
Old 6th May 2018, 01:34 AM   #14
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

Amateur Soekris 1021
The cheap (30-40$) "Amanero" boards are knockoffs, their quality is inferior to the original Amanero plus their firmware can not be upgraded. If you do attempt to upgrade (or change) the firmware in one of these boards you will effectively brick it.

The expensive LSK Amanero clone claims to be properly licensed by Amanero so it should have no such problems.
Old 6th May 2018, 10:03 PM   #15
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadbeh View Post
...i will read the pin config from the back of the of the unit and connect them to the corresponding pins on the I2S pins on the dac and hope for the best lol.
I doubt if that'll work as I imagine the HDMI and RJ45 i2s outputs on the LKS device will be LVDS of some sort so you would need a LVDS receiver at the DAC end to recover the I2S.

If you go with an Amanero solution do the right/honourable thing and buy a genuine Amanero board from Amanero (or one of their resellers) rather than one of the Chinese rip-offs on ebay.

As an alternative to Amanero you might consider the JL Sounds i2soverUSB board, which includes isolation/reclocking;

I2SoverUSB - I2S over USB Audio
Old 6th May 2018, 10:26 PM   #16
arnd13 is offline arnd13  Germany
diyAudio Member

Just buy an original Amanero Board and be happy.

The board is "self-powered" when connected to usb, so you even don't need a power supply.

I would not buy any of those chinese crap only because it was 10 bucks cheaper.
Old 7th May 2018, 06:22 PM   #17
wushuliu is offline wushuliu  United States
diyAudio Member

Dadbeh, if you get the LKS, how are you going to connect the I2S to the Soekris?
Old 8th May 2018, 03:50 PM   #18
Dadbeh is offline Dadbeh  United States
diyAudio Member

one end HDMI another end direct soldered. isnt that how you connet any usb adapter to soekris? i mean the soildering of the correct pins to the right hole lol. the other end being hdmi or rj45 is the same. i already bought the soekris v4 but not the usb yet.

Last edited by Dadbeh; 8th May 2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 8th May 2018, 03:55 PM   #19
Dadbeh is offline Dadbeh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibuoy View Post
I doubt if that'll work as I imagine the HDMI and RJ45 i2s outputs on the LKS device will be LVDS of some sort so you would need a LVDS receiver at the DAC end to recover the I2S.

If you go with an Amanero solution do the right/honourable thing and buy a genuine Amanero board from Amanero (or one of their resellers) rather than one of the Chinese rip-offs on ebay.

As an alternative to Amanero you might consider the JL Sounds i2soverUSB board, which includes isolation/reclocking;

I2SoverUSB - I2S over USB Audio
i do like to do thge right/honorable thing by a manufacturer who produces fine audio product i always try to support them but i dont like powered by usb i do like a separate very high quality and extremely low ripple power supply since i have seen clean power have positive effect in both digital and analoge signals.
Old 8th May 2018, 06:14 PM   #20
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadbeh View Post
i do like to do thge right/honorable thing by a manufacturer who produces fine audio product i always try to support them but i dont like powered by usb i do like a separate very high quality and extremely low ripple power supply since i have seen clean power have positive effect in both digital and analoge signals.
You can run Amanero off a separate high quality power supply if you want. The JL Sounds board I linked to also allows separate high quality external power supplies.

Regarding the i2s connection of the LKS to your Soekris DAC, the instances of RJ45/HDMI connections I've come across have all been LVDS (low voltage diffeential signalling) implementations designed to transmit the i2s data over a longer distance. If the LKS is using LVDS you'll need a matching receiver at the DAC end, if it isn't I wouldn't touch it as it's a surefire way of degrading your i2s data - the max recommended transmission distance for i2s is 10cms!

Amateur Soekris 1021Hide this!Advertise here!