My ES9038Q2M DAC board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today i have got 2700uF 6,3v rubycons.

Put them in and did the rest of the mods.

Plugt it in and it sounds nice.:)

Big sound not harsch and plenty of base.

What to do next,is making the opamp I/V powered external.

:)I've put the dac into my dap.picture 1

and,look at my pi3 player,there is a emmc card , better than anyother tf care

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 460
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 411
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 421
Master I2S mode only addresses jitter, not necessarily the other things needed to make ES9038Q2M sound its best. In addition, it is possible to get very low jitter without master mode. The problem with using master mode is that it means the dac may not be able to sync with input from an external clock domain. Another ES9038Q2M dac that uses master mode is Allo Katana, which they thought would be superior to other dacs, but it turned out not to be superior to at least one non-master mode ES9038Q2M dac. It just goes to show that jitter is one important design consideration, but not the only one.

Master I2S mode only addresses jitter, not necessarily the other things needed to make ES9038Q2M sound its best. In addition, it is possible to get very low jitter without master mode. The problem with using master mode is that it means the dac may not be able to sync with input from an external clock domain. Another ES9038Q2M dac that uses master mode is Allo Katana, which they thought would be superior to other dacs, but it turned out not to be superior to at least one non-master mode ES9038Q2M dac. It just goes to show that jitter is one important design consideration, but not the only one.

master mode is the best mode to use es9038. but not anyone use it can give a good sound. and ,i don't think Allo Katana can make a good sound , there are too many X7R has been used with the dac , layout too poor

Probably not the right guessing about Katana. It is very good.

Also, master mode was needed more for ES9018 because ASRC didn't sound good. ES9028 and ES9038 ASRC are much better. They are other ways to minimize jitter and make even better sound than master mode. To further improve sound quality and reduce distortion it is also necessary to use external interpolation filtering, such as with Spartan 6 gate array. A lot has changed since master mode was the only solution or even the best solution, and so there are new design tricks and techniques to learn.

Of course, best of luck with the dac, it is probably pretty good. But, also strictly speaking it is probably not the best, virtually certainly so. No offense intended by that of course. Just that things have changed over time for Sabre dac designs, and maybe worth checking out the developments. Lots of good information at Benchmark Media, and John Siau's comments at proaudioreview, as two examples.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.