Did anyone try one of these ES9028/ES9038 DAC kits?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Uchu007, my DAC is a work in progress and it will probably be for a while... :) I like the sound very much! Like you I used LT3042/3045 regulators for every power connection. I still plan to add upsampling and of course build it into a neat cabinet. For now I first want to complete building the BPBP pre-amp.

Have you tried spdif connection ? And if so, under what circumstances ?
The reason I'm asking is from this comment:
3) The SPDIF input(labeled SPDIF IN) signal level requirement is 3.3V,
it is directly connected to the ES9038PRO DAC chip to achieve lowest jitter
performance. It can be used to connect SPDIF optical receiver directly(Toshiba
TORX147 or equivalent). If it is used to connect coaxial SPDIF, an interface
circuit must be used to convert the standard spdif 0.6Vp-p to 3.3V logic level.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking at a 3dac multichanell solution using the
Lynx AES16e or minidsp U-DIO8 as an interface. I have failed so far to find out
what level of spdif there is in any of these products.

No, I haven't tried feeding this dac with SPDIF. I use I2S. However I did at some point consider using SPDIF. At that time I found the following info:

- My understanding is that coaxial SPDIF in-/outputs always work at 0.4Vpp to 0.6Vpp level.
- Inside circuits SPDIF uses TTL level. More info at epanorama.net/S/PDIF Interface
- I found this converter. I converts to 5V TTL though, not the 3.3V that the DAC seems to require, but perhaps both would work.

Hope this helps.

I saw that one today as well :D I have to figure out some more aspects on this as

well. For instance, if I would like to use the "sabre volume control " there is the
possibility to buy the xmos board as a bundle. Now I'm wondering if I could
stack all three dacs on top of each other and let the xmos control all three in
parallel (a bit to much to hope for maybe).

How about register settings ? Does the dac run in "hardware mode" or do you
have the abbility to acces settings in any way ? In the sales information it says
that it's "popfree"(automute), do you agree ? A solid lock without any hazzle
would be nice as well.

This might be a solution but It's not one I'm going for in the near future.

And so I found this thread
MiniDSP : UDIO-8 P-P voltage (1/1)

@ Pos

In answer to your question, the UDIO is 3.3V. Standard AES-3 output. If you select SPDIF option it will be 1V.

So I figure that it would be possible to connect the UDIO-8 directly to the spdif
input connector. Just have to figure out what pins in the xlr connector
(AES-EBU output cable) that goes where.

How about register settings ? Does the dac run in "hardware mode" or do you
have the abbility to acces settings in any way ? In the sales information it says
that it's "popfree"(automute), do you agree ? A solid lock without any hazzle
would be nice as well.

Sorry, completely overlooked this post. Answering your questions:
- I don’t have the XMOS board, so can’t tell you anything about that.
- I haven’t tried to access the registry yet; next level... :)
- indeed there are no pops or clicks. It locks on seamlessly.
- one thing to note: there is a DC offset on the balanced output that causes a “thud” at shutdown. That annoyed me a bit at first, when I had the DAC connected directly to my power amp. But now I have the BPBP preamp in between, which adequately corrects the offset. All in all I am pretty happy with this DAC.

Upgraded the project with Ian’s FiFoPi and a XRK’s power supply for the RPI. IMG_3166.jpg IMG_3165.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.