Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

cheap aliexpress/ebay ADAU1452 development boards
cheap aliexpress/ebay ADAU1452 development boards
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2018, 09:52 AM   #1
usagi is offline usagi
diyAudio Member

Default cheap aliexpress/ebay ADAU1452 development boards

there's a bunch of cheap adau1452 boards on aliexpress and ebay lately.

aliexpress

ebay

some of them come with daughterboard "4IN8OUT_CODEC", some do not.

it was not obvious to me that you need an extra device to interface with the board, a USBi interface. the ADAU1452_DSP comes without the 2x5 header pins installed, which baffles me as to how they intended this thing to be used without it!

the official EVAL-ADUSB2EBZ interface can be used, though it is a bit pricey.

there appear to be cheap chinese USBi clones on aliexpress. not sure if they are compatible though.

the ADAU1452_DSP boards come with several empty spaces on the board, from the schematics it appears they are missing an STM32F103C8T6 (IC6), a 23LC1024 (IC7), and an 8mhz crystal (X2).

Last edited by usagi; 3rd April 2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 4th April 2018, 02:41 PM   #2
longitude is offline longitude  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I confirm that the board/codec works. (Well...at least mine works...)
I used it as the digital crossover for Linkwitz Lxmini.
But the documents are very limited and you have to find your own way (crosscheck the broad with the ADAU1452 Evaluation Board, they are very similar) to make them work.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by longitude; 4th April 2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 5th April 2018, 01:26 PM   #3
ernperkins is offline ernperkins  United States
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=usagi;5393508]there's a bunch of cheap adau1452 boards on aliexpress and ebay lately.

aliexpress

ebay

some of them come with daughterboard "4IN8OUT_CODEC", some do not.

/QUOTE]

Are you positive that any of them come with the "4IN8OUT_CODEC" board? I know some show a picture with both boards, but I don't see any mention of the codec board, just "1 x NEW ADAU1452_DSP development board, learning board". Just don't want to get burned.
Old 7th April 2018, 12:50 AM   #4
Foxx510 is offline Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernperkins View Post
Are you positive that any of them come with the "4IN8OUT_CODEC" board? I know some show a picture with both boards, but I don't see any mention of the codec board, just "1 x NEW ADAU1452_DSP development board, learning board". Just don't want to get burned.
To me with this listing 4 in 8 out electronic frequency divider, /IIS audio processing, /DAC decoder board-in Contactors from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group it looks like you can buy the CODEC board individually for $38 or both boards for $71 by selecting the "color"
Old 7th April 2018, 07:54 AM   #5
usagi is offline usagi
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernperkins View Post
quite certain. i bought 2 that did, and 2 that did not.
Old 7th April 2018, 07:55 AM   #6
usagi is offline usagi
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longitude View Post
Hi,
I confirm that the board/codec works. (Well...at least mine works...)
I used it as the digital crossover for Linkwitz Lxmini.
But the documents are very limited and you have to find your own way (crosscheck the broad with the ADAU1452 Evaluation Board, they are very similar) to make them work.
do you have a quick pinout for the usbi clone connection to the adau1452?
Old 7th April 2018, 08:18 AM   #7
chapelhill is offline chapelhill
diyAudio Member

Hi all.
I am interested too but do we require a programmer as well and where is the best information source? I am not exactly sure what the 4 in 8 out codec board is. Would like to use for Linkwitz LXMinis.
Thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 08:59 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi View Post
do you have a quick pinout for the usbi clone connection to the adau1452?
Hi, just like the connection show in the figure.
The USBi card, 3:I2C SCL, 5:I2C SDA, 12:GND connect to adau1452 card, SCL, SDA and GND.
In SigmaStudio, hardware configuration, choose I2C 0x76 (118) to connect to ADAU1452 and I2C 0xAE (174) to connect to E2Prom.
Old 7th April 2018, 09:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapelhill View Post
Hi all.
I am interested too but do we require a programmer as well and where is the best information source? I am not exactly sure what the 4 in 8 out codec board is. Would like to use for Linkwitz LXMinis.
Thanks
I think the boards are for developers. I still recommend using MiniDSPs for Linkwitz LXminis.
Old 7th April 2018, 09:11 PM   #10
ernperkins is offline ernperkins  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I didn't notice the "color" option. For those who have bought the combination (DSP & 4in/8out boards), what are your experiences? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxx510 View Post
To me with this listing 4 in 8 out electronic frequency divider, /IIS audio processing, /DAC decoder board-in Contactors from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group it looks like you can buy the CODEC board individually for $38 or both boards for $71 by selecting the "color"

cheap aliexpress/ebay ADAU1452 development boardsHide this!Advertise here!