cheap aliexpress/eBay ADAU1452 development boards

there's a bunch of cheap adau1452 boards on aliexpress and ebay lately.

aliexpress

ebay

some of them come with daughterboard "4IN8OUT_CODEC", some do not.

it was not obvious to me that you need an extra device to interface with the board, a USBi interface. the ADAU1452_DSP comes without the 2x5 header pins installed, which baffles me as to how they intended this thing to be used without it!

the official EVAL-ADUSB2EBZ interface can be used, though it is a bit pricey.

there appear to be cheap chinese USBi clones on aliexpress. not sure if they are compatible though.

the ADAU1452_DSP boards come with several empty spaces on the board, from the schematics it appears they are missing an STM32F103C8T6 (IC6), a 23LC1024 (IC7), and an 8mhz crystal (X2).

Last edited:
Hi,
I confirm that the board/codec works. (Well...at least mine works...)
I used it as the digital crossover for Linkwitz Lxmini.
But the documents are very limited and you have to find your own way (crosscheck the broad with the ADAU1452 Evaluation Board, they are very similar) to make them work.
uc

uc

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
there's a bunch of cheap adau1452 boards on aliexpress and ebay lately.

aliexpress

ebay

some of them come with daughterboard "4IN8OUT_CODEC", some do not.

/QUOTE]

Are you positive that any of them come with the "4IN8OUT_CODEC" board? I know some show a picture with both boards, but I don't see any mention of the codec board, just "1 x NEW ADAU1452_DSP development board, learning board". Just don't want to get burned.

Are you positive that any of them come with the "4IN8OUT_CODEC" board? I know some show a picture with both boards, but I don't see any mention of the codec board, just "1 x NEW ADAU1452_DSP development board, learning board". Just don't want to get burned.

To me with this listing 4 in 8 out electronic frequency divider, /IIS audio processing, /DAC decoder board-in Contactors from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group it looks like you can buy the CODEC board individually for $38 or both boards for $71 by selecting the "color"

Hi,
I confirm that the board/codec works. (Well...at least mine works...)
I used it as the digital crossover for Linkwitz Lxmini.
But the documents are very limited and you have to find your own way (crosscheck the broad with the ADAU1452 Evaluation Board, they are very similar) to make them work.
uc

do you have a quick pinout for the usbi clone connection to the adau1452?

Hello, I would like to introduce myself.
For years I have been passionate about the world of sound and more specifically the edition, since the CoolEdit 96 and also the theme of effects and audio modeling.
Currently there are two programs that are my favorites for the audio processor in real time, Breakway and the most complete StereoTool although the latter is more dedicated to the world of radio.
Looking for some way to process in real time with some plates of Analog Devices. Buy on Aliexpress an ADAU1452 with the 8IN4OUT module.

Investigating later I realized that I needed a USBi emulator

The problem is that there is not much information on how to make these plates work. Here we discuss the connection of the 1452 with the USBi but not how to use the buttons S1, S2 and S3, so that they serve, such as editing the program of the board, the process of recording on the board, eeprom, etc.
Any information is of the original official ADAU1452 plate and the clone plates as much as there are instructions in Chinese difficult to translate.

I would appreciate more information to start operating the ADAU1452 plate from aliexpress.

Thanks and regards

I also have one of the adau1452 boards with the analog I/O board. The is a USB connector on the adau1452 board for programming the device. For audio there is SPDIF, TOSLINK, and analog I/O, no USB. And the analog sound quality is not very good. However, the two boards together are good enough to use learning how to use the parts, and demonstrating what can be done with them.

Last edited:
Hi, I need some help with these adau1452 boards, I want to use it with my Lxmini project by inputting I2S signal in and out to Ian's McFIFO reclock and external DACs.
So am I right to think I can hook it up to my PC with no issues, setup the crossover/eq in SigmaStudio, flash it to the board and than use it like this? (no issues, khm khm, right :))

This one seems to have the usb interface built in, is this the same as using a USBI board?
ADAU1452_DSP development board, learning board | eBay

This one is without USBI
SIGMADSP ADAU1452 Core Board (new) | eBay

Hi, So am I right to think I can hook it up to my PC with no issues, setup the crossover/eq in SigmaStudio, flash it to the board and then use it like this? (no issues, khm khm, right :))

Ha! That's a good one! You better be ready to do some homework and head scratching before you get everything to work. First, a little background about USBi. USBi is a USB-to-I2C or SPI interface. AFAIK it was designed by Analog Devices to enable SigmaStudio communicate to their I2C/SPI based DSP devices using the USB interface on a PC. Here's a link to their USBi application note that is quite helpful:

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/AN-1006.pdf

Note that the original USBi programming header is ten pins (2X5) and supports both I2C and SPI modes. The core of any USBI interface is a Cypress USB board. Some companies (e.g. Sure Electronics) have USBi programmers for their products that only support I2C mode so their connectors only have 6 pins and use a different connector format.
This one seems to have the usb interface built in, is this the same as using a USBI board?
ADAU1452_DSP development board, learning board | eBay

No, the USB interface isn't the same as an USBi interface. If you look at post #2 you'll see a small board in the upper left; that's the Cypress USB board. He's used a subset of the USBi signals (most likely in I2C mode) to connect to the DSP board. Without knowing more I'd stay away from this board unless you really want to dig into the USBi connections. Plus, you already have external DACs and really don't need the 4-in/8-out board. Just my opinion.

No, it does have a USBi connection. It's the 2X5 header directly above the DSP chip. Note that the description and schematic state that this board uses SPI on boot-up. So you'll have to configure SigmaStudio to use SPI instead of I2C (see the Analog Devices App Note) or modify the board to use I2C on boot-up. The schematic (one of the ebay pictures) tells you how modify the board for I2C on boot-up.

Hope this helps and good luck on your journey! :)

ernperkins thanks for clarification. So if I get the board from the second link I need a USBI board to connect to the pins on the dsp board, and switch to i2c instead of spi? Is there any significant difference between spi and i2c, or it's all the same if I switch sigmastudio to spi to match the board?

So if I get the board from the second link I need a USBI board to connect to the pins on the dsp board, and switch to i2c instead of spi?
Yes, or use a USBi interface that supports both I2C and SPI (see below).
Is there any significant difference between spi and i2c, or it's all the same if I switch sigmastudio to spi to match the board?
I haven't used SPI so I can't say for sure. But from reading the Analog Devices App Note it appears SPI has the same functionality as I2C. Just make sure the USBi interface you make or buy supports both I2C and SPI.
I know of a few USBi interfaces that support both I2C and SPI. One is the Analog Devices ADUSB2EBZ Evaluation Board (pricey) and a couple from the FreeDSP group.

Ok so after some research I came up with this - there are multiple versions of the same MediaWorks ADAU1452 board selling for about $40-50, the latest I found is v2.2 from 2018 (at least from what I can tell from images). Maybe they all sell the latest version, just didn't upload the latest image, who knows, but I would go with this one:
SIGMADSP ADAU1452 Core Board-in Personal Care Appliance Parts from Home Appliances on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The same store also sells a USBi for around $60:
SIGMADSP ADAU1452 Core Board-in Personal Care Appliance Parts from Home Appliances on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

But after checking the freeDSP links I think the best buy is this one on Tindie - $38 including shipping, nice case, and a few welcome tweaks:
SigmaLink USBi from SushiBits on Tindie

I also checked the MediaWorks taobao store, and the board is almost half the price there $27, and there is also ADAU1466 option:
SIGMADSP ADAU1452/1466??? (new)-???
and also an interesting control board with lcd, 3 LEDs and 3 buttons, which also seems to work as USBi, but description is on the image which can't be translated from chinese so not sure:
MCU4DSP ADAU1452/ADAU1466 SigmaDSP-

I never bought from taobao, I know you need some kind of intermediary, will research.

Last edited:
Ok so after some research I came up with this - there are multiple versions of the same MediaWorks ADAU1452 board selling for about $40-50, the latest I found is v2.2 from 2018 (at least from what I can tell from images). Maybe they all sell the latest version, just didn't upload the latest image, who knows, but I would go with this one:
Hello, just received my 1466, anyone knows why Q1 is reverse solder ?

Vup18TH.jpg