Airplay 2 receiver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know everyone is in the dark regarding airplay 2 - but I'm trying to figure a solution and am thinking that I could use an apple TV (new generation) which I'm assured will be a device that i can stream airplay 2 to.

It does not have any optical out (thanks apple) but I wanted peoples thoughts on converting the HDMI output to audio.

I've seen many boxes that promise to convert HDMI to audio but I'm unsure if they will be any good?

Any ideas?

Stuart

Thanks vizion.

I should have mentioned that I've built similar systems for airplay, currently using a raspberry pi which has shairport allowing airplay streaming.

I now need airplay 2 and apple is dragging it's feet with its arrival and we are probably a long way from having access to airplay 2 in the diy community.

This is why I thought about HDMI audio but I'm unclear as whether these HDMI converters will give me a good stereo output for audio

Stu

Thanks vizion.

I should have mentioned that I've built similar systems for airplay, currently using a raspberry pi which has shairport allowing airplay streaming.

I now need airplay 2 and apple is dragging it's feet with its arrival and we are probably a long way from having access to airplay 2 in the diy community.

This is why I thought about HDMI audio but I'm unclear as whether these HDMI converters will give me a good stereo output for audio

Stu

There are HDMI splitters that should do coaxial/optical output on PCM sources if I remember right. This would let you use whatever DAC you wanted that supports optical input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.