Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Surround decoder for encoded digital audio (AC3, DTS, AAC) with Beagle Bone Black
Surround decoder for encoded digital audio (AC3, DTS, AAC) with Beagle Bone Black
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2019, 07:06 PM   #11
janho12345 is offline janho12345  Germany
diyAudio Member

And here it comes, another stupid question.

In the schematic there is one i2s data line to the dac.
Why not 4 data lines? The BBB is able to output 4 i2s data.
Old 20th March 2019, 07:24 PM   #12
mushroommunk is offline mushroommunk  United States
diyAudio Member

And what is the EEPROM used for? Doesn't BeagleBone have plenty of storage?

I know I know, you're updating the project page, patience people.
Old 20th March 2019, 08:46 PM   #13
halfgaar is offline halfgaar  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So, basically the setup is that you receive S/PDIF and feed into a DIR9001 to get I2S. That signal is fed into the Beagle where it is decoded (AC3/DTS) and the result is output to a 8-ch DAC.
Ffmpeg autodetects the codec, so AAC should also work. Unfortunately, DTS True HD and Dolby Atmos and stuff require more bandwidth than s/pdif offers, so that's off the table (although I smell a new project coming, if not for ******** HDCP ).

Quote:
You use I2C to select what DAC to output to. Neat!
This is pretty common in DAC world. Sound cards do it internally to control volume, muting, anti-pop, sample rate, etc. Because of SOCs (system on a chip) ARM systems emerging, ALSA designed ALSA-SOC that allows direct interfacing of DACs through IS+IC, without drivers having to re-code the same DAC in slightly different ways.

Quote:
I think that you would do the community a great service if you were to amend the instructions for the software so that those of us who do not speak Linux with complete fluency could follow
I made the designs public because I indeed want to help people out, but I did realize it unfortunately isn't so plug-and-play. For instance, the ALSA-SOC layer imposes restrictions that the hardware doesn't have, so I hacked a driver that will never be accepted for inclusion in the kernel.

At this point I think knowing how to cross-compile software and drivers is somewhat unavoidable. I have an image file of the EMMC with the software installed that anybody is welcome to use, but that requires my exact schematic.

Quote:
And here it comes, another stupid question.
I think think this project invokes a lot of questions, it's fine . I also invite you to look at the git history on Github of both the schematic and code. I like explaining the 'why' in git history, and what I learn.

Quote:
In the schematic there is one i2s data line to the dac.
Why not 4 data lines? The BBB is able to output 4 i2s data.
The pins can only be muxed in certain ways, and there was no way I could use 4 data lines. I needed pins for two master clock in, frame clock in/out, bit clock in/out, data lines, etc.

It's a theoretical bummer, because I now use time multiplexing, and therefore need the 512 times clock recovery option on the DIR9001. That makes the maximum sample rate 48 kHz. I haven't been hit by it yet, but HD audio is off the table from the start (although I don't believe in HD distribution of audio).

Quote:
And what is the EEPROM used for? Doesn't BeagleBone have plenty of storage?
The beagle bone 'cape' manager scans a certain Ic port for autodetection of device ID for automatic driver loading and reading pin mux settings for checking compatibility with other cape boards.

Quote:
I know I know, you're updating the project page, patience people.
The original post was a year ago, so that shows how fast I am . I'm actually working on instructions for the cross compilation of ARM source; already quite some work.

Last edited by halfgaar; 20th March 2019 at 08:55 PM.

Surround decoder for encoded digital audio (AC3, DTS, AAC) with Beagle Bone BlackHide this!Advertise here!