Sure DSP ADAU1701 board with amplifier JAB3-50

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Guys

Could you please explain me how to deal with:
I have JAB2, JAB3 and SURE AA-JA11113 Extension Board with 3 batteries (18650). From Sure's videos it says that if I want to power up this two boards I need connect them both to SURE AA-JA11113 with 3 batteries, but also it says that if you want to charge your batteries with Extension Board, you need to connect it only to JAB2! For me its stupid or I do not understand it. Because if I have all this boards inside sealed enclosure its not possible to disconnect Extension Board from JAB3 during charging.

So my question is: how I can connect this two boards with Extension Board with 3 batteries (to power up by using 3 * 18650) and at the same time with possibility to charge the batteries and power up the system with external adaptor?

Thank you!

On second glance - a double pole, single throw switch should work. Lines 1 & 2 are VBAT and lines 3 & 4 are GND. I think you can leave the grounds connected all the time.

Thank you!
I think I get it

other question concerning powering up amplifiers with 3 * 18650
Working voltage for Sure's amplifiers 9-24V, with batteries I have 11-12.6V, so it means, the lower power voltage, the lower output power?

I tried to feel the difference, powering up with batteries and external 19V but I did not hear the difference...

Hi Sorokin, hi ernperkins,

Disclaimer : I don't have a batteries extension board myself (neither a JAB2 board), so my answers are from what I understood reading documentation about JAB2 / JAB3.

This being said :

JAB2 include a battery charger (and a solar MPPT).
JAB3 can be powered from batteries extension board, but cannot charge them.

I don't think plugging the battery board to both JAB2 and JAB3 will be a problem.
JAB2 will charge it, JAB3 will just draw power from it...
From what I understand they just say "Take care, if you use battery board with JAB3 alone, it wont charge".

In order to be able to charge, you need a power supply over 12.6 V.

"the lower power voltage, the lower output power?"
Yes, at full power...

At mid levels, or if your source level, is too low, you shouldn't hear the difference.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I tried making an active 2-way WiFi speaker with the JAB3-250, but ran into some issues that dampened my enthusiasm for this product. The main problem is that the board has a microprocessor dedicated to making the amplifier "battery friendly", and that circuitry isn't compatible with the way my software for the ADAU1701 works. The write-up is in this link

Last edited:
Ok, I played a bit with Sure Wondom JAB3, and it was quite difficult to find any information on those boards, so I'll try to share here what I finally found. Most of those informations are already existing, I'm just trying to compile them in one post.
This thread was the most informative I found, thanks to ernperkins answers, so I choose to post it here.

I'm French, so please excuse my English.

I Bought a JAB3 1100 witch is a mono version.
My goal was to create a PA speaker working on battery, using the JAB3 for high frequency, and a Sure T-Amp (1x500W) for low frequency (and i finally managed it to work).
The goal was to use the ADAU1701 on the JAB3 to make an active filter, programming it with the Wondom ICP1. My first ICP1 was fried during first use, so I had to exchange it.

How to use ICP1 with Simgma studio and JAB3 :
You need to plug ICP1 to your computer before plugging it to JAB3 (it turns green in sigma studio).
You need to power JAB3, and give it an audio source before plugging it to ICP1.

Debugging :

If you are just testing your program, you can use "link compile and download" in sigma studio. You don't have to short SW1. The program will be loaded to JAB3 and you will be able to test it directly. The board program will remain unchanged when you reset it, so it's an "idiot-proof" way to test your design.
You can use level detectors and see the signal levels directly in sigma studio, and use volume control to tune it.
You will find lot of informations on how to program with Sigma Studio here.
You can inspire from the example from Sure : HERE (TY again ernperkins).

Long term programming :
The steps are detailed in the video given by ernperkins.

If you need to long term program your board, you have to short SW1 and write the EEPROM using the method given in the video (right click on adau1701, write last compilation to eeprom).

So to resume :
1 - Plug ICP1 to your computer, the programmer should turn green in Sigma Studio.
2 - Plug JAB3 to DC, and give it a entry signal (some music from your phone...)
3 - Plug JAB3 to ICP1
4 - short circuit SW1 with a jumper cable

- keep the jab3 SW1 shorted while programming the EEPROM
- when finished writing the EEPROM: remove SW1 short and reset the JAB3

I don't know why, but if you don't unplug ICP1 from JAB3 before reseting it, the ICP1 will not work any-more, refusing to upload again to eeprom. When this happen, I turn my computer in "stanby mode" for a few seconds, I restart Sigma Studio, I reset JAB3, re-plug it to ICP1 and it works back.

External volume control :
I needed an external volume control for my active speaker...
I first used the potentiometers that are on the board.
You can inspire from the Sure example.
The important things to know :
- the 4 pots are plugged to auxiliary ADC ADC0, ADC1, ADC2 and ADC3.
ADC0 : MP9
ADC3 : MP8
ADC1 : MP2

ADC2 : MP3

- you need to configure them in the "hardware configuration / register control"

turn them to ADC
Don't forget to check the box on the right (I can't see the right column it in my Sigma Studio, I have to slide...)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You will find lot of informations on ADAU1701 inputs (and lot more) on this document.

Since the potentiometers are soldered to the four auxiliary ADC input, you have to de-solder them from the board if you want to use an external pot. Since I didn't want to make some soldering on the board, I finally chose to use a rotary encoder.

Rotary encoder :

I used a keyes rotary encoder module. It works OK, even if it don't 100% comply to analog devices application note.
Don't forget to check the pins used in the input section of hardware configuration.

That all for today, I'll try to complete this post when I could...

Thanks for the guide!

Ok, late night and just tried programmin JAB3 with ICP1 a minute ago.
I was a bit confused about SW1 since there is one on ICP1 as well, and from the guide videos they seem to be flicking a switch not using jumper cables.

There is indeed SW1 on JAB3 PCB near the pots. Use jumper cable to short it, as said, and then use the JAB3 reset switch, as said, not the ones on ICP1. Don't touch ICP1 other than plug the cables as per the guide.

ps. the Sure Sigmastudio example project linked on this thread had outputs at wrong order: mono (sub) signal went to JAB2 and vice versa. I removed most of the controls and put my own filters in, didn't try to use the pots for anything yet in the Sigmastudio. Noisefloor seems to be worse now or I'm just too tired already :) I'll post my tips later, when I get more hours under my belt on the sigmastudio and my setup.

Hi guys,

I've been playing with one of the JAB3 2 x 50w boards, and I've hit a bit of an odd issue.

I've made a fairly simple sigmadsp config, uploaded it and it all works great, saved to eeprom with no problems, but if i hit the reset switch on the board, or unplug the power and plug it back in again, the board is just mute until i re-upload the sigmadsp config again, and it starts working as normal.

Anyone able to shed some light?

Untitled-1.jpg

By your description i feel the program is not written to the EEPROM. Did you do the progamming as per hermes36 guide I have quoted few posts back? If I remember the board is muted if the SW1 is shorted while reseting. SW1 needs to be shorted only when writing to EEPROM, as per Hermes36 guide.

Sorry, haven't had this issue so cannot give more accurate guidance :)

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There is a little bit of documentation here that might help: JAB-250 WiFi Speaker – Audiodevelopers Reborn

The JAB3 board uses a transistor to turn off the DVDD voltage to the ADAU1701 to conserve the battery (Q2). And there is microprocessor that monitors audio activity, and it will turn off DVDD when it detects no activity. When the voltage is restored, the ADAU1701 goes through its reset sequence.

The ADAU1701 will self-boot from the program in the EEPROM if there is a valid program and if SELFBOOT is high and WP is high. Since you have checked the EEPROM data, I would assume that there is a problem with WP (from the datasheet: "The ADAU1701 does not self-boot if WP is set low.") The SELFBOOT pin is pulled up by a resistor on the board, so it should be OK. But double-check WP.

Of course, the I2C bus must be "free" for the chip to self-boot. The JAB3 board has some diode protection on the I2C lines that can fail if 5V is used to program the device (U01). I had one board where the diodes shorted, but I was only using 3.3V, so I don't know what actually happened. Make sure the I2C bus looks good on an oscilloscope, with normal 0 to 3.3v transitions. On one board that failed this way, I simply removed U01 by snipping the legs, and the board worked fine afterward.

Last edited:
I tried making an active 2-way WiFi speaker with the JAB3-250, but ran into some issues that dampened my enthusiasm for this product. The main problem is that the board has a microprocessor dedicated to making the amplifier "battery friendly", and that circuitry isn't compatible with the way my software for the ADAU1701 works. The write-up is in this link

Hello Neil, thank you for this write up. I had also in mind a 2-way implementation with this board, however somewhat easier than yours appear to be. I intend to use two boards (one in each speaker) with crossover and 100% volume programmed to eeprom. Volume and music will be set with chromecast audio. Does this pose a problem with the built in battery functions? I think not as upon resumed playback eeprom will simply initiate crossover and 100% volume.

Thanks in advance

Joined 2004
Paid Member
If I understand you correctly, what you want to do should work fine.

I need to finalize that design by doing what I described in the last paragraph of that article. I need to write the Arduino code to store the SigmaStudio program in the EEPROM. That way, the on-board micro will still manage the power-down functions, but when power is restored, the SigmaStudio program will reload my code from the EEPROM. It's easy to do, and I've got a spare board to test the changes--just haven't gotten to it.

With that simple code change, you could then control the DSP from the cell phone app. You wouldn't need SigmaStudio or the programmer, as the Arduino does the programming. I think this would then be a very useful board for building 2-way active speakers.

If I understand you correctly, what you want to do should work fine.

Arduino does the programming. I think this would then be a very useful board for building 2-way active speakers.

Indeed so do I. I dont plan to use an arduino. I simply want to configure a two-way crossover in SigmaStudio and use the programmer board to load the configuration to the eeprom. Once that is done, I hope that the speaker will *just work*. Configuration will not change after the initial setup and volume will be controlled externally. I think this is the easiest configuration.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.