Connecting toslink to toslink without optical cable ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

Can we do toslink to toslink connection without an optical cable ?

The mini music server and the dac are small cases that can be place back to back, so the toslink transmiter and the toslink receiver can be be face to face, need just to align them perfectly.

So no optical cable and a having a direct optical transmision.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Even it "works" in any way, it would be far better to use a cable than to not.

The tiny lens at the ends of an optical cable minimizes the transmission loss and ensures best coupling. The transmitter and the receiver have a tiny lens on them too designed to work with the ones on the fiber. Without these optical components the transmission loss would be huge. But this is not to say things wouldn't "work" without them.

Hello

The dac are using a torx178 receiver module, I don't remember the toslink transmiter number in the cd player, but they have a Data Rate of roughly 6 mb/s.

Is it worth it to replace them by higher Data Rate toslink transmiter and receiver ?

Any suggestions of higher Data Rate toslink transmiter and receiver numbers ?

How about reclocking the spdif signal after the toslink receiver module ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
I personally do not care the claimed "quality" of an optical s/pdif cable. I use the most inexpensive ones, as the EO-OE transfer always introduce a horrendous jitter anyways regardless of the quality of the optical cable, comparing with the coaxial counterpart. As long as the DAC is konwn to be immune to the s/pdif jitter the quality of a cable is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Hello

...Is it worth it to replace them by higher Data Rate toslink transmiter and receiver ?

Any suggestions of higher Data Rate toslink transmiter and receiver numbers ?

How about reclocking the spdif signal after the toslink receiver module ?

Gaetan

I don't see why you would want to replace with higher data rate capacity toslink modules. Nonetheless, in my Whazon, an 8:1 s/pdif switch project, I use PLT133 and PLR135 modules, they are good for up to 16Mbps. That switch was designed (and test proven) to work up to 24bit/192K coaxial in coaxial out, but I have not had a chance trying it on toslink beyond 24bit/96K yet.

You do not need to "reclock" a s/pdif signal as the decoders today all have very good tolerance to the jitters and are able to recover the audio samples without errors, unless something is going horribly wrong.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.