PC based I2S Output for compatible DACs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I searched on this forum to find some I2S related topics already but there isn't a dedicated one. Well, it might seem legit or even not but there're plenty of people thinking about a bit-perfect PC based source and here we come to I2S.

I'd like to start a topic for this and just discuss it, mainly about its advantages, disadvantages (over USB of course) and I'm also curious what's today's state of the art DAC-feeding option with the least compromise - if any at all.

To kick off I start with an already-old stuff from 2014, Pink Faun's I2S Bridge - has ANYBODY here tried/used this already ? (Although it's limited to 192/32).

I also read somewhere about the Raspberry Pi's I2S output but it's said to have a not-that-good clock in the audio community - while one of my friends building a DAC onto it tells me it's okay no worries.

What's the big truth ? Any other stellar options for computer based playback ? There're DACs which support even DSD512 and DSD1024 via I2S. Of course I don't have such amazingly high-res material (and from my point of view it would be inaudible) but I was just curious what the hell on Earth is capable of feeding such DACs in that resolution via I2S ?

I know I2S is (was) mainly used between transport and DACs in the old times, but now I think of it's extended application via different connections (mainly HDMI connector & cable) to get rid of the issues associated with USB.

Is USB really that bad ? Do I2S output implementations (via nonstandard-HDMI) have a valid future .. ? What's your opinion ?

A very basic hint for digital-beginners like myself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.