Raspberry PI ZERO as USB to I2S Bridge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Has anyone successfully turned the Raspberry Pi Zero into a USB to I2S Bridge? It most certainly has all the right hardware components to do it. One of the two USB ports can be a USB OTG, and Linux can be configured to be a "Gadget" so that it would be a USB Audio Device.

There is a very interesting article about linux gadgets and ConfigFS (the new "gadget" framework) here: Raspberry Pi Zero as Multiple USB Gadgets << irq5.io

My goal is to use this to send USB Audio signals to the PiDSP... I've posted about this in other threads but I think this warrants a discussion. Any thoughts?

Jay

Hi Jay!

I think that link may help you
http://www.peteronion.org.uk/I2S/
I2S Success (at last) ! - Raspberry Pi Forums
Indeed thats not the Pi Zero but I think that we can learn from that project..

BTW I will be happy to collaborate with you,
I am tyring to create a tiny USB-I2S board to operate as a sound card that receives 4 instruments input (high impedance) and stream them to the PC...
So for that point i was just looking for a USB-I2S gate to interface with some ADC,Currently I have the Sparkfun PCM1803A breakout..

@JayShoe Your links describe a Pi as a player via i2s....yep..they can all do it...easy.

What the o/p wants is a Pi that emulates a usb to i2s bridge.
An xmos or amanero substitute.

Totally different fettle of kish...

Lol, I'm the original poster and I just didn't catch the fact that it wasn't to my spec. Yes I'm looking for a "USB Device". This is just playing music on the device itself...

For your interest, a different possible hardware are the stm32 nucleo controller boards. They have USB is, multi I2S or SPDIF out...

I might have to revisit that in the near future. My original intention was to connect the PI Zero to a PiDSP from FreeDSP. The PiZero would be control/usbaudio, and the PiDSP would... DSP. I also had looked into the STM32 NucleoF767ZI development board. In fact, I have one on my desk. I might have to look into Audio Weaver again.

At this point in time what is working for me is the Teensy Audio Bridge Concept. It's much more open than Audio Weaver - which scarred me away with exorbitant commitments.

Last edited:
Hi,

I see that you have done your homework extensively. STm32 is a really good platform with their many audio digital ouputs. Nucleo boards are cool because they expose all pins. I didn't digged Audioweaver deep as it was not free at that time. So great prower, but bare metal: you have to code everything on your own.

JMF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.