Built a Chinese dac... Distortion and power issues..?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have never trusted the components that were supplied with an ebay kit; figured all the functioning parts went to the assembled and tested boards. I have had good luck with starting with an assembled board and swapping most of the parts gradually.
Typically, the supplies on a dac are 9vac for analog on the dac chip, 9vac for digital on dac, maybe receiver chip, and 15-0-15 for the analog output.

I have never trusted the components that were supplied with an ebay kit; figured all the functioning parts went to the assembled and tested boards. I have had good luck with starting with an assembled board and swapping most of the parts gradually.
Typically, the supplies on a dac are 9vac for analog on the dac chip, 9vac for digital on dac, maybe receiver chip, and 15-0-15 for the analog output.
The supply transformer is 9VAC... So the board must be operating at a lower voltage than that.

Well, managed to get a partial refund for the DAC... And purchased this one... Assembled!
Maybe not the same quality caps, but now I have spares :)
Better RCA's, XLR's, and a simpler 9VAC input/rectifier section....
So some easy upgrades possible.

Already ordered a pair of Burr Brown mono OPA134's to compliment the Burson's. The easiest of upgrades!

If I can figure out how to desolder the dip8 Burson's from the other board! Screenshot_20171209-155517.png

I would snip the leads off the board, then snip the adapter into eight parts, then individually remove those from the pins on the op amp module. I would wait and just use the sockets for them with the new board, at least for a long time until you are sure that nothing else will be swapped.
Those modules work pretty good with a 4.7uf 50v, right on the pins, under the board too, along with any smaller, film parts.
That new board looks pretty decent if it comes as shown, I have a similar one that uses an ak4495, I put a snubber circuit on each set of diodes too, smoothed out the sound, more details too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.