Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ES9038Q2M Board
ES9038Q2M Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2020, 04:02 PM   #5851
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

+1
Old 13th August 2020, 05:58 PM   #5852
Green77 is offline Green77  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Yes, something like that. Best to keep wires from the power supplies to the dac board pretty short.

I used three 3.3v low noise regulators mounted on the back side of the dac board (ground plane side). One regulator for DVCC, one for VCCA, and one for the clock. The MCU can stay on the original 3.3v regulator that's already on the board.

Optical tends to be pretty jittery. Best to try to use good quality optical cable and keep it short, if possible.

The dac board comes with a one opamp voltage mode output stage design. It is *much* higher distortion than a proper 3-opamp current mode output stage design. The output stage and the AVCC power supply are two of the very biggest sound quality improvements that can be made. However, its some diy work to make it happen. Schematics for recommended output stage and AVCC supply are attached to post #3003.

A through hole output stage project with construction pictures is available at: Dropbox - Output Stage Instructions.zip - Simplify your life
Thanks for the helpful info. I will try to use my regulators to DVCC and clock.
Regarding the current output ##3003, it looks a little bit complicated for me

BR// Daniel
Old 13th August 2020, 06:09 PM   #5853
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Regarding the output stage, I agree its its not the easiest thing to build. It probably would have been considerably easier if using SMD components, but some people didn't think they would be able to take on soldering things that small. Could be there is some 3rd party output stage that could be adapted, but can't think of one offhand.
Old 13th August 2020, 10:09 PM   #5854
John Luckins is offline John Luckins  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Regarding the output stage, I agree its its not the easiest thing to build. It probably would have been considerably easier if using SMD components, but some people didn't think they would be able to take on soldering things that small. Could be there is some 3rd party output stage that could be adapted, but can't think of one offhand.
One of the Twisted Pair ones, Mercury or Legato perhaps, or even the SEN or its forthcoming BJT version??

John
Old 13th August 2020, 11:03 PM   #5855
diyAudio Member

IMHO, none of those output stages is ideal for this dac chip. At the very least, I think we should stick to opamp I/V, using an appropriate opamp such as OPA1611/1612. If we can't make that sound good, we are doing something wrong somewhere. Most likely doing something wrong in more than one place.
Old 13th August 2020, 11:12 PM   #5856
diyAudio Member

Have you listened to the SEN IV stage? It is very good. Saw off all of the Twisted Pair offerings for me. I've never compared it directly with a good OPA1611/2 stage (which I'm using now) but am about to.

John
Old 13th August 2020, 11:14 PM   #5857
diyAudio Member

May I ask which good OPA1611/1612 output stage that would be?

Last edited by Markw4; 13th August 2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 14th August 2020, 09:56 AM   #5858
diyAudio Member

Sure, I'm using a PSU modified Soncoz SGD1. Same designer as for the Khadas toneboard. The designer solved the issue of the ESS linearity hump by correcting the opamp feedback capacitance/loading issue. It uses 2 X ESS 90382QM and fully balanced OPA1612 and RT 6863 Opamps for IV, supplied from separate regulators and transformer. Sounds and measures excellent out of the $470 box. Easy to do supply mods and versatile inputs. Saw off my heavily supply modded Katana with ease.

John
Old 14th August 2020, 11:05 AM   #5859
diyAudio Member

Interesting. The review at ASR says it has a very high ESS hump:SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
...was that fixed in a later revision?

Anyway, how would you propose to compare output stages? Get two of SGD1, remove the output stage from one, and substitute another output stage?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Soncoz.jpg (152.9 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by Markw4; 14th August 2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 14th August 2020, 01:19 PM   #5860
diyAudio Member

Yep, it was fixed earlier this year. There is a thread there detailing how it was done and the recalculation of the filter cap and resistor values. I can't afford a second unit so I'll make the modifications a listen to the differences over weeks and months to decide which I prefer. Short term and even double blind testing doesn't work for me. Lots of listening does.

When I get a chance I'll post what mods I've made and why.

Note that the Soncoz makes use of ESS's own DAC chip regulator IC about which I know little.

J

ES9038Q2M BoardHide this!Advertise here!