Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ES9038Q2M Board
ES9038Q2M Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2019, 09:54 PM   #4851
rfbrw is offline rfbrw
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerrill99 View Post
I never suggest this or tried to do that - I always said it was a good base for dipping ones toes in the ESS environment
I know. The limitation is all mine. The D10 can only offer a limited insight into the ESS environment. A limitation that grows if your starting point is the ES9038Q2M.
Old 11th August 2019, 10:12 PM   #4852
mmerrill99 is offline mmerrill99
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrw View Post
I know. The limitation is all mine. The D10 can only offer a limited insight into the ESS environment. A limitation that grows if your starting point is the ES9038Q2M.
No problem. Understood
Old 12th August 2019, 03:03 AM   #4853
Terry Demol is offline Terry Demol  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensH View Post

The noise may cancel to some degree. But the largest cancellation will probably happen when there is no signal. Once there is a signal close to full scale the VREF supply will primarily influence the positive output signal, whereas the negative going signal will draw current to GND.
Good points! More food for thought.
Old 14th August 2019, 08:05 AM   #4854
IVX is offline IVX  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

My "board" finally measured here Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
Old 14th August 2019, 09:04 AM   #4855
Ugg10 is offline Ugg10  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVX View Post

Looks really good, great to see you have tamed the ES Sabre hump - any plans for a version with coax (or toslink or usb) spdif input and stereo (unbalanced) rca output and possibly making it available in a bare bones version and a usb/5/9/12v power line i.e. a Khadas Tone Board competitor ?
Old 14th August 2019, 01:24 PM   #4856
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My "board" finally measured...
Congratulations on showing well for such a small dac in the measurements!

On the other hand, I am still interested to find out how it sounds...
Old 14th August 2019, 01:37 PM   #4857
diyAudio Member

Guys, I never go to copy something, especially in such a trivial "design" area like DAC chips usage. I offered the DAC board idea with built-in APx55_like THD analyzer but I meet pretty much zero interest here, as I remember. So I gave it up, almost. A big PCB without housing could be much cheaper vs tiny one assembled into the accurate case. I think toneboard_like PCBA may be $50 effortless, and logistic is minimal: buy parts, send it to the SMD soldering facility, that's it.
Old 14th August 2019, 01:47 PM   #4858
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Guys, I never go to copy something, especially in such a trivial "design" area like DAC chips usage...
Chances are it sounds like it too. Designing for measurements is only one consideration. Ask Gustard, and similar.

By the way, Apple makes a small USB dac that measures very well too, and beats many others on price: Buy USB-C to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter - Apple

Last edited by Markw4; 14th August 2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 14th August 2019, 02:31 PM   #4859
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I saw the discussion where $300 DAC based on ES9038Q2M shows THD .015% and Apple $9 DAC outperforms it effortlessly. In my home probably any 3.5mm jack output what I only can find will outperform that stupid DAC too ))
Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: AudioQuest Dragonflies Reviewed! Dragonfly Cobalt, Red, and v1.2.
Old 14th August 2019, 02:37 PM   #4860
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...probably any 3.5mm jack output what I only can find will outperform that stupid DAC too...
Yes, but it comes in such attractive packaging!

More seriously, designing for great measurements and great subjective sound quality is possible too. Its harder than trying to do only one or the other. Benchmark did a really good job of that with DAC-3, but while very good its age is starting to show, IMHO.

Last edited by Markw4; 14th August 2019 at 02:40 PM.

ES9038Q2M BoardHide this!Advertise here!