Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ES9038Q2M Board
ES9038Q2M Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2019, 04:37 AM   #4491
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Custom winding isn't going to help with both low resistance (i.e. low copper losses) and keeping far from saturation. They're mutually opposed - the further you run from saturation for a given core material, the more copper losses you have to accept.
It also depends on geometry, core size and shape. A larger core for a power transformer would probably be more cost effective than silver wire.

Last edited by Markw4; 23rd May 2019 at 04:40 AM.
Old 23rd May 2019, 04:53 AM   #4492
Terry Demol is offline Terry Demol  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Custom winding isn't going to help with both low resistance (i.e. low copper losses) and keeping far from saturation. They're mutually opposed - the further you run from saturation for a given core material, the more copper losses you have to accept. Silver wire would help to lower resistance I guess.
Yes - well, sort of

If your design intent is to have the core running at a lower flux density then it will have to be a custom wound transformer. All 'normal' Toroids will run the core at a pretty high flux, around 16 and up to 18 kGauss (1.6 / 1.8 T)
to get the efficiency up.

Having said the above, I'm not absolutely convinced that running lower flux will result in better sound. There are so many different factors that we are juggling here.

My best guess is there is possibly a sweet spot that is retaining most of the benefits of high core flux but just backed off from saturation a little more
to keep it well in linear region.

But I have not done definitive testing of this with all other factors being equal.

T
Old 23rd May 2019, 05:09 AM   #4493
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Demol View Post
My best guess is there is possibly a sweet spot that is retaining most of the benefits of high core flux but just backed off from saturation a little more
to keep it well in linear region.
Sounds reasonable.
Old 23rd May 2019, 06:28 AM   #4494
888777 is offline 888777  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
May I ask if anyone has gotten started yet with Arduino or other means for accessing registers?
Hey. I already got the protection fee. Arduino's on the way somewhere. Ready according to your recommendations to change the settings es9038q2m. I removed the AVCC film caps like you said. And then removed the ceramic capacitors on the es9038q2m Board that filter the AVCC power line next to the chip. And the sound stopped being sharp. the problem went away. Through what service can I upload photos to the forum?
Old 23rd May 2019, 06:37 AM   #4495
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888777 View Post
Through what service can I upload photos to the forum?
You can attach jpg files less than 1MB in size if you click on the advanced editing button and or scroll down to the 'manage attachments' button located below the reply/editing window. The images will be stored at diyaudio. I usually crop pictures, then reduce jpg quality until file size is under the 1MB limit (assuming the file was too big to attach without editing).

Regarding film caps, I'm not sure which ones you mean. Perhaps I don't remember what you were using for AVCC before?

Last edited by Markw4; 23rd May 2019 at 06:42 AM.
Old 24th May 2019, 01:51 AM   #4496
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You can attach jpg files less than 1MB in size if you click on the advanced editing button and or scroll down to the 'manage attachments' button located below the reply/editing window. The images will be stored at diyaudio. I usually crop pictures, then reduce jpg quality until file size is under the 1MB limit (assuming the file was too big to attach without editing).

Regarding film caps, I'm not sure which ones you mean. Perhaps I don't remember what you were using for AVCC before?
I use TPS7A4700 for AVCC. And to remove the sharpness in the sound, I added the output ldo film 47 nF. After your criticism, I removed them. now there are, if I'm not mistaken, 57 nF ordinary ceramics. Here is a photo. This is a temporary structure. To looked good and was easy to change something at any moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190524_112410.jpg (726.8 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg 20190524_112428.jpg (798.1 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 20190524_112750.jpg (809.0 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 20190524_113003.jpg (930.7 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 20190524_112834.jpg (395.8 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg 20190524_112854.jpg (969.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 24th May 2019, 03:32 AM   #4497
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888777 View Post
I use TPS7A4700 for AVCC.
I started looking into using LDOs for AVCC, at least a little bit. So far only tried ADM7150 (a recent issue Twisted Pear Trident-SR). Didn't sound very good at first. Tried adding a 33-ohm, 1/2-watt resistor from the regulator output to ground. That seemed to improve sound quality some. I then increased the input voltage to the ADM7150 from 5v to 5.7v, and then to 6.7v (using an adjustable pre-regulator in this case). Sound quality seemed best using 6.7v for the input. I did not notice further improvement going to slightly higher input voltages, so I stopped at 6.7v to minimize unnecessary heating of the regulator.

I recently have been advised that it is not unusual for adding a resistor from the voltage regulator output to ground to improve sound quality in analog audio circuits. I kind of assume it works by reducing the source impedance seen by the load over a fairly wide range of frequencies. Similarly, I was advised that increasing regulator input voltage may also help improve sound quality.

Pretty soon I hope to be able to compare a few different +-15v regulators. More on that later.
Old 24th May 2019, 03:41 AM   #4498
diyAudio Member

OK. It is very good djob! I added 33 omh resistor. And then get out him. But I will try again today. And give you my feeling of this method. In now I give 5v. on ldo.
Old 24th May 2019, 03:53 AM   #4499
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Quote:
I recently have been advised that it is not unusual for adding a resistor from the voltage regulator output to ground to improve sound quality in analog audio circuits. I kind of assume it works by reducing the source impedance seen by the load over a fairly wide range of frequencies. Similarly, I was advised that increasing regulator input voltage may also help improve sound quality.
Its certainly the case on the older, non-LDO regulators that the output impedance decreases with increasing load current. That's because the output device is an EF whose transconductance is directly proportional to its Ie. On LDOs with common-emitter output devices the effect is likely similar. With a MOSFET as pass device though the gm isn't a linear increase with output current but I'd still expect lower Zout at higher load currents.
Old 24th May 2019, 05:56 AM   #4500
Terry Demol is offline Terry Demol  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Its certainly the case on the older, non-LDO regulators that the output impedance decreases with increasing load current. That's because the output device is an EF whose transconductance is directly proportional to its Ie. On LDOs with common-emitter output devices the effect is likely similar. With a MOSFET as pass device though the gm isn't a linear increase with output current but I'd still expect lower Zout at higher load currents.
Most newer LDO's do not have EF outputs which enables the very low dropout voltages that they achieve.

However, the OP device will still have a higher gm when running at higher currents, so we can still be talking about the same mechanism, being that the error amp is doing less work, so to speak.

But my intuition tells me this is an oversimplification of a more complex situation and we don't know the driver arrangement or the exact compensation network. The first thing I would be looking at is the regulator's transient response at various output currents and capacitor arrangements.

T

ES9038Q2M BoardHide this!Advertise here!